3 recipes to try this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Thanksgiving is next week. Considered by college students to be one of the best holiday’s, we get a week long break from schoolwork (and the campus food), get to hang out with friends and family and finally enjoy some home cooked food. Here are 3 easy recipes you can make this thanksgiving.

Toffee Caramel Apple Dip

Thanks to Shewearsmanyhats, here’s a sweet and easy apple dip that can eaten as a snack before dinner or dessert.

Parmesan Garlic Dinner rolls

I mean who doesn’t love bread?

All you’ll need is you’ll need is

10″ Springform Pan

16 frozen white dinner rolls

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided (Can use fresh and/ or Kraft!)

1 tsp dry parsley flakes

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

1/2 tsp onion powder

Head on over to Butterwithasideofbread to get the whole recipe!

Cinnamon-Spiced Hasselback Sweet Potatoes

Thanks to Refinery29, here’s an alternative way of making sweet potatoes.

Ingredients

For Potatoes

4 large, uniformly shaped sweet potatoes, washed

5 tbsp canola oil, divided

¼ tsp salt

For Streusel Topping

8 cinnamon graham crackers (3/4 cups crushed)

¼ cup raisins

½ cup maple syrup, divided

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking dish with tinfoil.

2. Cut about 8 slits into each potato, stopping just before you cut all the way through, so that the slices stay connected and the potato stays intact. Each slice should be about ¼ of an inch thick. Tip: Place potatoes in a baking dish or rimmed plate and use that as a guide. Slice straight down and stop cutting when your knife hits the edge.

3. Rub potatoes liberally with 3 tablespoons of oil, making sure to coat all sides and inside the slits. Sprinkle with salt and bake 50-60 minutes — until softened and cooked through, but not mushy. Time may vary, depending on size of potatoes.

4. Meanwhile, prepare the streusel: Place graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and crush until you have coarse crumbs. Add in 2 tablespoons oil, raisins, and ¼ cup maple syrup, and crush again until it resembles wet sand.

5. Remove potatoes from the oven and gently pull apart to expose slits. Stuff the slits with graham-cracker mixture. Drizzle each potato with remaining ¼ cup maple syrup, making sure to get into each slit.

6. Lower oven to 350° and place potatoes back in the oven to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.

19 year old student at St. John's University, majoring in Public Relations minoring in Business and Fashion Studies. Traveler. Shopaholic. Foodie.
Contributor Account