Why This Couple Waited Until Marriage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Meet Olivia and Josh Cantrell. They are the follow up to our Virginity in the 21st Century article. These two waited FIVE YEARS until they had sex. Olivia and Josh proved that the so called impossible is truly possible. Read their sweet love story below! Also, be sure to watch their engagement video at the end (make sure you are watching on either a laptop or desktop! It will not work on a mobile device)! Be sure to have tissues on hand!  

Names:

Olivia & Josh  

Birthdays:

10/13/1990 -Olivia

8/6/1992- Josh

Where are y’all from?

Both from Woodstock, GA

Where did y’all attend college?

Kennesaw State University  

Majors?

Olivia: Bachelors in Human Services with a Case Management concentration  

Josh: Exercise and Physical Education 

Organizations y’all were involved in?

We both attended a college youth group called ECHO.  

Current jobs/careers?

We just moved, so I’m working at a boutique but am looking for a job in my field- social work. Josh works as a Fitter at the PGA Tour Superstore.  

Where did y’all meet?

High School

When did y’all meet?

Spring of my Junior year, Spring of Josh’s Sophomore year  

How did y’all meet?

We were connected through a mutual friend- actually a guy I was going to prom with!  

When did y’all get married?

7/13/13

How did he propose?

He learned how to play the guitar, and surprised me one evening in my parents’ beautiful back yard. There were lights and photos everywhere. He played four songs, we talked, he proposed, we prayed & read scripture.  

Did you ask her parents for her hand and if so, how?

Yes.

He met with my dad, which he gladly gave his consent. Then he met with both of my parents to talk about the proposal plan.  

Why did y’all wait until marriage:

Olivia: It was a value I learned from my Christian faith. However, I had to make that decision because I believed in that value, not just because that’s what I taught. As I grew in my faith, I knew it was what I wanted. I also had a tough relationship that affirmed this decision. Josh and I waited 5 years before getting married so you ABSOLUTELY have to be on the same page when it comes to this!

Josh: Because I believe sex is designed for marriage. It’s the most intimate thing we can do, and it goes beyond the physical.

How did your faith come into play:

Olivia: It completely shaped this decision. Between Scripture and the Holy Spirit, I knew we were being led to wait.

Josh: My faith had everything to do with this decision. I feel like the Bible is clear on the subject.

Why should a guy wait until marriage (Josh):

Sex is physical and spiritual. It’s important to protect your heart as well as her heart.  

Why should a girl wait until marriage (Olivia):

It’s honoring and respectful to God, yourself, and your husband. It’s beautiful to only share that with one person.  

Pros of waiting until marriage:

Olivia: It teaches you discipline and self-control. It makes marriage so much sweeter!

Josh: It feels so good to know that you’re fully each-others and that know one else has shared that experience with you. Also, because our relationship wasn’t about sex, we were able to get to know each other so well.  

Are there any cons about waiting, if so what are they:  

Olivia: It’s just really difficult to wait in a sex crazed culture. It’s a daily effort, and sometimes that means hanging out in groups rather than one-on-one. We always had to “take precautions”, which wasn’t always what we wanted to do.

Josh: It’s really difficult to wait. You have to be prepared!  

Josh, did any of your guy friends in high school and college try to pressure you not to wait, if so how and what would they say?

Yes, they would say that I’d have “to drive the car before you buy it”.

((editor comment: sad to hear boys continually objectifying women))

Olivia, did any of your girlfriends in high school and college try to pressure you not to wait, if so how and what would the say?

No. There were people who didn’t understand the decision, but they were very respectful.  

How did y’all fight the pressure and temptation? 

Olivia: How we spent time together was really important. We knew we couldn’t spend much time alone.

Josh: same answer.  

Favorite outcome of waiting:

Olivia: Seeing that it was worth it! So worth it!

Josh: Being able to connect on a deeper level and being “one” spiritually and physically  

Happiest moment together:

Olivia: wedding day! The joy was overflowing and it was such a sweet day of celebration.

Josh: Our wedding day!

Favorite wedding memory:

Olivia: Walking down the aisle and seeing him finally!

Josh: When I first saw Liv walking down the aisle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbpCsuTYdoo&t=220s 

Elizabeth Gonzales

St Edward's '18

John Mayer lover, coffee enthusiast, and avid concert goer. Best Buddies and Young Life   Ecclesiastes 3:11  
Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada