This Week We Love: Beanscene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

It was a typical Friday; it was pouring down with rain and it had been a long week. So I did what I usually do, I sought solace in one of St. Andrews’ many coffee shops. The Scottish chain Beanscene located on Bell Street was this week’s destination.

Arriving at the café, I resisted the temptation of the variety of cakes and goodies on offer (mainly because I only had £3 in 20p pieces on me) and ordered the infamous ‘London Fog- a kind of earl grey latte concoction, and tried to find a seat in the crowded café. Beanscene is long and narrow and despite being a little cramped, there is a wonderful atmosphere in café. It is warm and cosy; definitely the place to be going when the winter cold kicks in and your student lifestyle will not allow you to turn the heating on (but will allow you to order you oh-so-necessary chai latte). There are two squishy brown leather sofas that are THE places to sit – so grab them quick. Beanscene also has free wifi so is the perfect place for a study date!

Now back to the most important part; the food and drink. My London Fog was brilliantly frothy and despite a slight disaster in that I almost ate the teabag left in the drink, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone! Beanscene also offers smoothies, porridge, cake and even a lunch and evening menu – the food, while not in any way culinary genius, is tasty and filling and relatively cheap for an evening meal.

Beanscene, although it is a chain, has a homely atmosphere and was full of both locals and students. With a loyalty card on offer, Beanscene is a must-go place to get your caffeine fix. It also offers one of the latest opening hours for a café in St. Andrews, closing at 10pm everyday allowing us a place to go in the evenings that does not involve alcohol!