UK’s Courgette Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

If you’re in the UK right now, you may have noticed a startling lack of certain vegetables, namely courgettes (zucchinis in the US) and aubergines (eggplants). The so called courgette crisis is gripping the nation, sending prices soaring and apparently even emptying entire grocery stores of the vegetable. 

The food shortage, which began just after the new year, is said to be caused by a sudden, unexpected amount of cold weather in Italy and Spain. However, the deficit is spreading to other vegetables, namely “tomato, lettuce, pepper and celery.” And it may even last until well into the spring! What’s a girl to eat.. 

Although it may seem like a laughable matter – no more spiralized zucchinis, am I right? – it could represent a bigger problem for the UK. According to Emma Haslett, UK imports more food than it exports, and rising costs and tariffs in a post-Brexit environment could lead to an even more severe shortage and more expensive costs. And then all we’ll really have is whiskey and carrots. The solution, she says, is to encourage more people to buy locally and to support nearby farmers – something that others have repeatedly said in the past to bring down import costs and carbon footprints. 

Regardless of what happens, all I know is for the time being our dishes may look a little different, a little less green. And buying local is always a good idea, if not to encourage a more varied produce yield here but to help cut down on carbon emissions. 

Just some food for thought. [Image: The Guardian]

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!