Raisin Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Raisin Weekend is everyone’s favourite tradition at St Andrews. Freshers’ Week conversations center around the phrase “have you found parents yet?” Third years go baby stalking, and trade insider secrets and drinking games to prepare for the weekend. To help everyone have a safe, fun Raisin, we’ve put together a helpful guide for the Freshers. 

1. Unless your parents have a stated dress code, aim for a low key outfit that is comfortable, warm, and washable. There is a very high chance that your Raisin Sunday will be messy. 

2. While you no longer have to bring your parents a pound of Raisins, a gift of some kind is always nice. Usually it is a bottle of wine, or another spirit for your mum’s party, and the same for your dad’s party. 

3. Only drink as much as you feel comfortable drinking. Most of your parents don’t actually want to kill you. 

4. Make friends with your academic sibilings, cousins, the random people that show up at your party. You will see them all over the place during the next four years. 

5. Remember your crazy Raisin stories. Everyone loves crazy Raisin stories. 

6. Participate in the foam fight. You will never get another chance to partake in a tradition as weird as that one. 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.