This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the end of term rapidly approaches, I recently decided to take a week long trip to Italy to make the most out of my remaining time here as a JYA. Flying in and out of Rome, I took 7 days to explore the cities of Rome, Florence, and Orvieto. And I thought I would share some of my favorite moments and advice with you!

Rome

I spent the most of my time in Rome, as there were so many things to see, do, and eat in this city. The city can be a bit overwhelming and crowded, but don’t be afraid to ditch your maps one afternoon and wonder around the city center. My friends and I stumbled upon so many amazing sites by doing so.

Tasha’s Do Not Miss List:

·       Vatican City (The Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel, and St. John’s Bascilica) – If you want to go inside of the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel, which I highly recommend you do, buy your tickets online ahead of time, to avoid the insanely long queue. Also, it takes roughly 3 – 4 hours to see everything in the museum, so keep this in mind when planning your time.

·       Trevi Fountain – The water is currently drained from the fountain as they are undergoing intense repairs, but it is still worth visiting while in Rome.

·       The Roman Forum and the Colosseum – Whether you are a fan of classical history or not, one ticket gets you into both sites, and they are absolutely amazing to see in person.

·       If you are there on a Wednesday, try and attend the Pope’s weekly address. My friends and I stumbled upon it, and it was really exciting to see the Pope and the massive crowd inside of St. Peter’s Square.

Florence

You can either fly or take a train to Florence from Rome. We found that is was cheaper to take the train. Even though it was roughly a 3-½ hour train ride, we were able to see outstanding views of Italy the whole way. Florence was such a breath of fresh air after the hustle and bustle of Rome and we spent two days wondering around this beautiful city.

Tasha’s Do Not Miss List:

·       The Uffizi Gallery

·       Michelangelo’s David in the Accademia Gallery – I should warn you that, besides the magnificent David, the Accademia is famously known for not having the most impressive art collection.

·       The Duomo and the Baptistery – Climb to the top of the cathedral for amazing views of the city.

·        Ponte Vecchio and Palazzo Vecchio – a area with beautiful views of the Arno river, magnificent art, and delicious gelato.

Orvieto

This was probably my favorite stop on the whole trip. Orvieto is a quant town built on the flat summit of mountain, surrounded by magnificent defensive walls, with sweeping views of the Italian countryside.  The town lies between Rome and Florence, which made it very easy and cheap to get to by train, as several trains stop there daily. You definitely do not need a lot of time here, as I was able to experience everything here in about a day. But it provides a less touristy snapshot of Italian life.

Tasha’s Do Not Miss List:

·       Take a walk along the defensive walls to see Orvieto’s stunning surroundings.

·       Step inside the Duomo – the inside of this cathedral is far more impressive than that of the Duomo in Florence.

·       Take a tour of the underground tunnels and caves and explore the town’s history.

·       Walk down St. Patrick’s Well. (If dark, swirling, never-ending staircases are not your thing, than I suggest skipping this attraction.)