Lucy Stanfield

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

By Freya Liddell 

Name: Lucy Stanfield

Year: 2nd Year

Degree: Geography

Hometown: Bretherton  (Somewhere up North)

This week the spotlight falls on Her Campus’ very own gorgeous travel writer, Lucy Stanfield.  She can usually be spotted gliding around town with her flowing blonde locks and sophisticated preppy outfits, with a zest juice in hand. This was not how I discovered her this morning; instead after my long commute down the stairs, I was received by the statement, ‘I can’t move.’ Well good morning to you to, Lucy. Thus my first probing question – What was your worst ever hangover? An elaborate tale emerges of mega lash, bed at 11pm and forcing her new boyfriend to look after her. She describes her favourite nights as when she Pre drinks with her girlfriends (including her flatmates Jessie, Hannah and I) and ends up so deep in discussions that she forgets to go out, until it’s so late that the only option is heading out to Dervish.

Lucy claims to be a sporty girl, with heavy involvement in almost in the all the social aspects of the mountaineering and swimming societies, mentioning a mountaineering bonfire on the beach as one of the highlights of her university experience thus far. This might be a slightly unfair portrayal, with frequent mountaineering trips all over Scotland, citing the beautiful and dramatic mountains of the Cairngorms and Skye as one of the principle reasons for coming to St Andrews.  So if you want to get to know this cutie, stalk around the climbing wall on a Wednesday afternoons. Although these two societies are her two main loves (except for the writer of this article) there are negative aspects, she mentions being cold, wet and miserable at the end a day’s climbing. However this is corrected by heart-warming brew at the local pub with friends. About swimming she complains that there were too many good-looking people with amazing bodies, which is apparently distracting. Such a disaster. As well as her claims to sporting ability, she is also a budding writer with a plethora of articles on her campus and Sci@StAnd, hopefully contributing to her aspirations for a career as a travel blogger and writer.       

Moving on to her love life, Lucy states that she is happy in a relationship with her boyfriend, helped by his recent surprise of flowers. She describes her ideal man as Leonardo DiCpario, but also her requirements include the ability to make her laugh, be strong, intelligent, modest and outdoorsy. This sounds like an echoingly accurate description of her boyfriend, for whom she is sticking around for in St Andrews, despite having finished her exams intolerably early. Lucy is still looking forward to finally returning home and paints an exceedingly idyllic image of a snowy Christmas deep in the Welsh mountains surrounding by a large reunion of her family.

RAPID FIRE ROUND:

Marmite: love it or hate it? Hate it – I like vegemite.

Would you rather lick someone’s armpit or eat someone’s toenails? Lick their armpit.

Who is your biggest celebrity crush? Leonardo DiCaprio circa The Beach.

Tell us something that no one else knows about you: I am really good at making baked potatoes, my secret ingredient is to add butter and cheese before it goes in the oven.

Favourite place to eat out in St Andrews? Nahm-Jim – only when I’m not paying.

Would you rather be able to talk to animals, or be able to speak to all foreign languages? Talk animals, I would enjoy talking to Whales. 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.