It’s Time to take the Trek to the Edinburgh Christmas Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

It’s that time of year again where Edinburgh opens its doors to the Christmas spirit and hosts a six week spectacular of festive entertainment in the heart of the city. Edinburgh Christmas is running from 17 November 2017 to 7 January 2018 and is putting on a variety of interactive events and experiences for people of all ages. Below we’ll outline the attractions you cannot miss! Check out the website for more info! (http://www.edinburghschristmas.com/#stq=&stp=1)

Shows

This year Edinburgh Christmas is throwing it back to Christmas past with shows such as “A Bottle of Wine and Patsy Cline” and “Silent Discos” while incorporating beloved children’s tales such as “Cinderella,” “Arabian Nights,” and “Shark in the Park” that will harken you back to your childhood Christmases creating a feeling of nostalgia that will help you stay cheery during exam time in December.

Rides and Attractions

Carnival Rides are always a welcome sight and this year is no exception. Edinburgh Christmas has outdone itself bringing in balloon rides, candy cane bungees, carousels, chair-o-planes, Christmas Tree mazes, crazy cars, helter-skelter, ice adventures (ice skating & ice walls), merry-go-rounds, race-o-ramas, rollercoasters, and reindeer rides and tickets are all under ten pounds!

Free Events

The free events of Edinburgh Christmas are perhaps the most welcomed aspect of the festival every year. This year the Christmas Markets in East Princes Street Gardens and on Georges Street will both offer a unique, festive shopping experience for every visitor with its array of crafters, artists, gifts and tasty delights. Additionally, Light Night on 19th November is sure to be a night to remember highlighting the true spirit of the festive season.

Hi I'm Margaret Crawford and I grew up in Dallas, Texas before venturing to St. Andrews for university to read, write, learn, and travel.
Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p