A Feminist Wears Chanel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the Parisian boulevards slowly empty of the models, bloggers, and photographers that descended upon the French capital for Fashion week, new styles and trends are not the only images left in its runway shaped shadow, but a refreshing political statement.  One fashion house making more than just a sartorial declaration this week was Chanel. Karl Lagerfield, creative director, dreamt up a world of bold mismatched prints, military green hues and power suits, setting the feminist tone that entrenched his show.  Leading the runway were models of the moment, Gisele, Kendall Jenner and Cara Delavigne. The finale of the show saw all the models brandishing banners with feminist slogans painted across them such as ‘Ladies First’, ‘History is Her Story’ and ‘Woman’s Rights are More than Alright’. With its fierce message and famous voices chanting through the Chanel speakerphones, Chanel’s Spring 2015 Ready-To-Wear collection took the media world by storm.   

Although the final sequence of the Chanel show can certainly go down in history as the most fashionable feminist protest, the other looks that were displayed were equally daring yet femininely show stopping.