Day Trip to Glasgow: When You’ve only Got 24 Hours but Lots of Fun to Be Had

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As a study abroad student here for the year at the University of St Andrews, I have made it my mission to not only travel around Europe exploring multiple countries but also to visit various locations around Scotland, one of those being Glasgow. So, given that it is already second semester and thus my time here in the beautiful land of the Scots is dwindling, I decided to go to Glasgow this past week. It turned out to be a wonderful way to spend a day and a great reminder that while the continent of Europe holds many amazing places, Scotland has a cluster of hidden gems as well. Here are my recommendations for the top things to do while in Glasgow:

Attractions:

#1. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

This museum houses an impressive collection of both art, mostly paintings but sculptures as well, and historical artifacts such as ancient Scottish dress, a restored WWII airplane, and dinosaur eggs. Even better, the museum is FREE to the public!

#2. University of Glasgow

While students at the University of St Andrews will maintain that their school is by far the best university in Scotland, the University of Glasgow is a very cool school in its own right. It is the forth-oldest university in the English-speaking world, so most of the buildings showcase beautiful, Gothic revival style architecture. The highlights of the campus are The Cloisters, which look like they are out of a Harry Potter movie set and The Memorial Chapel, which is quiet and calming place perfect for reflection and stained glass window gazing.

#3. Buchanan Street

This street plays host to tons of restaurants and shops, and although there are chain restaurants and American-brand stores present, there are also lots of unique, local boutiques and eateries. I do have to say that if you are a burger lover, you will be in heaven on this street. Within a one-block radius, there were probably four different burger bars, and all of them were different local brands catering to different groups of consumers. So, if you’re a meat aficionado, Buchanan Street is a definite must.

Food:

#1. Coffee, Chocolate, and Tea

This fabulous establishment located on Argyle Street serves the best coffee and homemade, gluten-free, walnut brownies EVER! They also have an extensive tea selection if coffee is not your thing. The atmosphere is very calming and would be a great place to get some work done while surrounded by heavenly aromas and relaxing music. 

#2. Little Italy

This restaurant is on Byers Road, which is right off the campus of the University of Glasgow and houses tons of yummy restaurants, coffee shops, and delis. Little Italy is not only affordable but also delicious, offering homemade filled-focaccias, pizza that is served either by the slice or a whole pie, pastas, and pastries. I enjoyed a personal, gluten-free pizza with pesto, caramelized onions, goat cheese, and mushrooms, and if I’m being honest, it was out-of-this-world yummy!

#3. The University Café

This café is right down the street from Little Italy and has been a mainstay in Glasgow for as long as the city can remember. Although they offer lunch, their homemade Italian ice cream is what really hits the spot. You can choose to have it in a cone, in a dish, or sandwiched between two chocolate-dipped waffle crackers- no matter what you’ll feel as if you hit the jackpot.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.