Campus Cutie: Helena Jaques-Morton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is the incredibly lovely Helena Jaques-Morton. Helena is a 2nd year student, from Kent, who is reading English and studying modules in Social Anthropology and Comparative Literature. After much deliberation about choosing whether or not to go to drama school Helena chose to come to St Andrews after visiting an older cousin who was a student here. Helena said that she absolutely fell in love with St Andrews on her visit, which for her seemed to have worked out well as her second choice university was not quite to her liking, as she declared ‘Durham was horrible’.

As a keen thespian, in her spare time you will find Helena at the Barron Theatre rehearsing for her next performance. Helena told me that she absolutely loves acting and hopes to fulfil her passion full time once leaving St Andrews, as ‘I haven’t thought of a more realistic plan yet!’ In February Helena is playing Moth, a fairy in the open air production of ‘A Midwinters Dream’ (titled owing to the time of year!) which is being produced by The Highland Shakespeare Company, a company that was created by St Andrews Alumi. Although an open air production perhaps sounds a little chilly in February Helena assures me that the performance will be worth the extra layers, and having seen Helena’s recent show of ‘More Light’ I can safely say I am sure it will be a magical production! Alongside acting, Helena is also a frequent writer for The Stand newspaper, with many of you perhaps having already read her features article on the Pink Links Charity.  

As exams draw nearer, and the dusk appears to fall earlier and earlier I am sure we all are wishing the next few weeks will fly by so that we can all hop aboard a train or plane and go home for Christmas. Helena of course is no exception, as she told me how much she was looking forward to Christmas, with her mother especially keeping the Christmas tree bare so that Helena can help decorate once she has returned home!

Helena Rapid Fire:

Favourite place to eat in St Andrews?  Definitely Northpoint.

Favourite place to go for a drink? I love Westport for cocktails but only when I feel like spending money!

Favourite place for a night out? Mabelles (When it reopens of course!)

Favourite memory of St Andrews? When my friends persuaded me that a fourteen hour coach ride from Edinburgh to London would be the best way to get home for Christmas last year, I still have not quite forgiven them!

Secret fact about yourself? I have a solid metal plate in my arm when I fell off some monkey bars in Australia…aged nineteen!