Nikki Shelton ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie and Her Campus Southern Miss Social Media Director, Nikki Shelton. This Georgia peach gives Her Campus the scoop on life, college and much more!

Name: Nikki Shelton
Hometown: Peachtree City, Georgia
Classification: Senior
Major: Public Relations with a minor in Political Science

What is one long-term goal that you’ve always had?

Well, for the past five years, I wanted to work for a Senator or Representative in D.C. as my career, but this summer, I interned in D.C. and decided I hate politics. So now, I’m trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

What is your favorite pastime?

Let me think about this. Well, I’m from Peachtree City, Georgia, and we’re known for being a golf cart community. So my favorite thing to do is ride around on golf carts with my best friends from high school (especially to Starbucks).

As a little girl, who was your favorite Disney princess?

Snow White! Because I have dark hair and pale skin, just like her.

What’s your relationship status?

I’m in a relationship now: I’ve been dating a boy for the past year and nine months. So I’m taken off the market!

You said you interned in D.C. Can you tell me a little bit more about that?

Yes! I spent all summer working for a Georgia congressman, Congressman Lynn Westmoreland. I had to wake up every morning at six and didn’t get home until 7:30 at night. It was a wonderful experience, but it was a reality check that the world isn’t always really fun. But D.C. is absolutely beautiful, and I will go back and visit any time I can.

What has been your favorite thing about USM?

My favorite thing about Southern Miss is the availability of opportunities to get involved, better yourself, and challenge yourself. While at USM, I have served as a member of Kappa Delta sorority, president of PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), social media director of Her Campus Southern Miss, and a member of College Republicans.

How do you plan to celebrate once you graduate?

Three days after I graduate, I have to get my wisdom teeth removed, but a few days after that, my boyfriend will graduate from Officer Candidate School. I’ll definitely fly up to Rhode Island to see him graduate.

Looking back, what has been the biggest lesson you have learned since you were a freshman in college?

I’ve learned that, as long as you stick it out, you can do anything. When I was a freshman, I was coming from Georgia and scared to death: I wanted to leave for the first three or four months! But I stuck with it and grew as a person. I’ve also surprised myself and realized that I am resilient and independent.

If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

If I were an animal, I would be a bird so I could “fly far far away” like Jenny from Forrest Gump.

Speaking of Forrest Gump, what’s your favorite movie?

My favorite movie is Garden State. I love Natalie Portman, and the soundtrack is awesome.

Mary Pearson

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com