Why All Basic White Girls Love Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Before all you sun goddesses and beach bums start fuming, understand that I am a HUGE fan of summer. Flip-flops, tan lines, warm weather, no school…summer has always been my favorite season. That is, until I got to college and realized it’s merely a close second to fall. If you’re a winter-loving snow queen, I highly suggest transferring away from the University of South Carolina. Fall is simply the best season in almost any state and here’s why:

Better Fashion

Jeans, boots, leggings, sweaters, cardigans, scarves…need I go on? Fall definitely provides adequate weather for my favorite fashion. Not to mention warm fall colors look good on almost everyone, as opposed to bright summer colors that can be…well…hit or miss. When it’s extremely hot there’s also less clothing options that can make you look put-together while staying cool and reducing sweat stains (ick). I am definitely most happy when I am wearing an oversized sweater decorated with a fun scarf, a pair of leggings and knee-high boots. Not to mention it’s a super cozy outfit, because I am all about being comfortable.

Less humidity

So I already touched on the benefit of no more sweat stains, but ridding of the unbearable South Carolina humidity is another reason why fall rocks. You ladies with pin straight hair might not feel my pain, but having thick, curly hair in the summer is one of the biggest struggles. Fall is an anti-frizz season and my unruly mane is forever appreciative.

Football

Whether you’re a fan of the sport or not, everyone loves football season. Gamecock tailgates, NFL viewing parties, buffalo chicken dip…the sight of Tom Brady in those tight pants…no complaints here.

Pumpkin Spice Lattes (and other less cool fall drinks)

Starbucks decides to bless us with the magical potion that is the Pumpkin Spice Latte during one season only, and that is why it is the best season of the year. Clearly I have a favorite, but you’re probably lying if you say there isn’t a fall-themed drink out there that you like. Other yummy fall drinks include apple cider, hard cider, Oktoberfest beers, and salted caramel mocha.

Fall Treats

Fall just screams warm baked goods. There’s nothing better than the aftermath of apple picking that leaves you with fresh pies, crisps, and turnovers. If you’ve never tried it, pumpkin bread perfectly complements a morning coffee. And I know that everyone looks forward to Pillsbury’s Halloween-themed sugar cookies!

Fall Scents

Currently burning the “Leaves” scented candle from Bath and Body Works and it smells like love and apples. I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed with any fall-themed candle or air freshener, and they definitely make everything cozier.

An Excuse to Cuddle

Speaking of cozy, cooler weather brings on the perfect excuse to cuddle up in a blanket with your boyfriend, best friend, boo-thang, or dog.

Holidays

Last but not least, fall gives us two of the best holidays of the year. Now that you have an excuse to cuddle, pop in some scary movies (or, you know, Halloweentown) in October. Of course, you can do this on nights that you aren’t partying in the best sexy costumes you and your girlfriends have ever come up with (probably some sort of animal) for a weeks worth of Halloween fun. When the skimpy outfits are over with, you can feel a hell of a lot less guilty stuffing your face on Thanksgiving as you enjoy quality family time you never realized you missed.

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!