USC Fashion Week 2k15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Looking for a little fashion inspiration just in time for the upcoming Spring season?! Well look no further because Fashion Week will be hitting USC’s campus March 23rd, and it’s shaping up to be quite the event!

Fashion Week is planned and produced by USC’s very own Fashion Board, which boasts over 180 members. Aside from their strong presence on social media, and bi-weekly meetings that focus on everything from the latest trends to personal branding and internship hacks, their main purpose on campus is to, “help students achieve both personal and professional growth in the fashion, beauty, and retail industries.” So what better way to do that than a Fashion Week on campus?!

Following the kickoff event scheduled to take place on Davis Field Monday afternoon, dogs from the local Columbia Humane Society will be pampered and prepped for the popular and absurdly adorable Doggy Fashion Show. Each tutu and bowtie is carefully crafted by fashion board members to raise awareness for a good cause as part of Fashion Board’s commitment to social outreach and philanthropy.

On Tuesday night, Fashion Board will welcome Melissa Karl, USC Alumni and Associate Accessories Editor at Lucky Magazine to speak at the annual symposium event. Students will get a real taste of what it’s like to work at a major magazine and how a student from a Southern University was able to land her dream job in the big city!

Wednesday’s student showcase marks the beginning of the actual runway shows in 701 Whaley, the popular venue that’s hosted every event from wedding receptions to sorority formals. Since there isn’t a design program at the University of South Carolina, this show allows student designers to demonstrate their talent and creativity for a cash prize of $250. This year’s show will feature six contestants and even more style mixes in a completely student produced spectacle. Everything from the decorations to the makeup backstage is done completely by USC students, creating both an authentic look and feel. This is often the crowd’s favorite event from each year’s Fashion Week, because they enjoy seeing all the talent and unique styles regular kids their own age had to offer.

Finally, the week concludes with the finale show—featuring looks from Columbia’s top retailers. Beginning at 6 p.m., the style lounge will also feature a silent auction and local vendor tables, so make sure you’re first in line at the door to get your tickets! Her Campus South Carolina strongly encourages all of our USC ladies to get involved and see what USC Fashion Week has to offer. Who knows, maybe it’ll unleash your inner designer or spark a complete wardrobe change for the New Year! 

Redhead. Northern Virginia Native. South Carolina transplant. Fashion student. Sorority sister. Lover of all things fried, salty and generally anything unhealthy.