Meet HCSC’S Kristina Zagame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Kristina Zagame ‘16

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management

Kristina is a senior broadcasting major at USC from Newton, Massachusetts. She’s a founding member of our very own Her Campus chapter since her sophomore year and oh, did we mention that she’s been our CC for the past year? Kristina is always working to make HCSC bigger and better for our readers.

Why do you love working with Her Campus?

“I’ve always loved that Her Campus is an open, judgment-free platform where you can write about whatever you want. Whether it be a quick news article I can type to inform readers about what’s going on, or a personal blog about something I feel passionate about, I can post anything I wish!”

When you’re not busy running our Her Campus chapter, what are you doing?

“Ugh, Everything! I am very busy and am often running on two hours of sleep a night, but the caffeine addiction helps! I currently work for the student run daily newscast, Carolina News, where I do everything from reporting to producing to anchoring a daily newscast. I also tutor athletes in the evenings. It’s been a crazy semester to say the least!”

What do you do in the little free time you have?

“I try to see my friends as much as possible. Between Carolina News, Her Campus and tutoring, my weekdays are pretty much filled. So on weekends when I’m not covering stories, I love to kick back with my friends and grab drinks. I also squeeze a work out in whenever I can–I’m addicted to spinning.”

What advice can you give to incoming freshmen?

“DON’T DO IT! …kidding. Do your research before you decide your major. Take a bunch of classes freshman year and find what you’re really passionate about. If you have a dream job, do your research and see how much goes into it before you fully commit. Don’t waste your time majoring in something that you don’t want to do with your life.”

Favorite song?

“My favorite song of all time is You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oates, but right now my favorite song is Stay by Kygo (also a very good spin song)”

What was your most embarrassing moment on campus?

“The first news package I ever put together, my friend and I teamed up and did a profile on our friend who is a local DJ in Columbia. We were super excited about our project, spent hours editing it to perfection, and we were really proud of the result. Our professor showed our package to the class and my friend and I were beaming, happy that he was showing it off to everyone. As soon as it was over, he turned to the class and asked what was wrong with the story. Turns out, we forgot to mention our friend’s name in the story! And that is why, my friends, you can never be too close to your interview subjects.”

Kristina is graduating on May 6 and will be leaving Columbia to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. She hasn’t finalized her plans yet, but is in the interview process with a few news stations. She hopes to someday be a morning news anchor for a network news station. We will miss her here at HCSC but we wish her luck in her future endeavors. Can’t wait to see you on TV someday, Kristina!

I'm energetic, outgoing and loud full time student at USC with a keen interest in Broadcast Journalism and all things NBA
SC Contributor

South Carolina