Matt McGiffin—Tradeversity Today, Trump Towers Tomorrow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Name: Matt McGiffin

Year: Sophomore

Major: Global Supply Chain & Operations Management, Finance

Minor: German, European Studies

Hometown: Fairfax, Virginia

I understand you are an intern for Tradeversity. Can you explain how using Tradeversity is helpful for college students?

“Tradeversity is an online marketplace for college students to buy and sell whatever they would like, which is helpful when you want a little extra money in your wallet, or you are trying to save a few dollars here and there. E-Bay will charge you when you make a sale, Craigslist can get sketchy when you have to meet them in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and the For Sale, Wanted & Free Facebook page is disorganized. That’s where Tradeversity comes in—to solve all of that.”

What was the process to become an intern and what are your responsibilities?

“Mike, the CEO and founder of Tradeversity, is an old friend of mine so as soon as I heard about the release of the website, I jumped on board. He’s a great leader and has a lot to teach to those around him. It is crazy to think someone who just graduated from USC is now running his own company.  As an intern, or “team member” as Mike likes to call us, we help with all the marketing campaigns and brainstorm a lot of the ideas that go onto the site.  That’s why this opportunity is so awesome—I’m not running around picking up coffee; instead, my ideas can be heard and implemented.”

What was it like winning the 2014 Proving Ground Entrepreneurial competition?

“Mike deserves all the credit because he was the one who actually presented and spoke to the judges in front of a crowd of 200 people, but when we heard them announce the winners we all jumped up.  It’s the ultimate satisfaction to see that what I believe in (Tradeversity) is getting the recognition and support from many others as well. Plus, holding the big check makes for a great Facebook profile picture!”

I hear you are starting your own business! Can you explain the concept behind the business?

“My other internship for the spring and the summer is with Student Painters; a company that takes college students and basically hands them the keys to their own branch of the business.  It is all about entrepreneurship.  I am now in charge of all of my own marketing, sales, hiring, logistics, production management, etc. As a manager, I am granted two zip codes in Columbia and have to generate my business from there. It is going to be quite a challenge, but I know I can do it. If anyone needs a summer job make sure to let me know!”

Was there any particular reason you decided to become an entrepreneur? Did your internship with Tradeversity play a factor in this decision?

“I wouldn’t say Tradeversity was the main factor in going after this entrepreneurial internship, but it did play a part. Watching all the things Mike has to go through with his company made me excited to do the same thing some day. Luckily that ‘some day’ came a lot sooner than I imagined. “

What are your future goals?

“After graduating from USC, I hope to work for a German company, perhaps BMW or something like that. Hopefully I will be able to travel the world a lot because that has always been one of my dreams. However, the end goal is to eventually start my own charity that spreads awareness for suicide, depression, anxiety, and self-harm.  It is something that has affected many people that are close to me and I just want to help others defeat it.  I believe all this work I am doing now in the entrepreneurial world will help me accomplish these future goals.”

Sophomore business major at USC that is guitly of laughing at her own jokes. Lover of all things fashion related and is probably online shopping right now. Other obsessions include Mexican food, Instagram, John Mayer, Kappa Kappa Gamma and traveling.