“It’s On Us” to Stop Sexual Assault (and Beat Clemson)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you were near Russell House today between 11-2 p.m., you were probably wondering what the commotion was about.

Our Student Government is encouraging Gamecocks to take the “It’s On Us” pledge to stop sexual assault. By taking the pledge, students, faculty and staff promise to recognize that non-consensual sexual activity is sexual assault, identify situations in which sexual assault may occur, intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given, and create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are reported.

Today Student Government set up a table on the Russell House patio with a banner for students and faculty to sign, and the opportunity to take a picture with a whiteboard explaining why It’s On Us to stop sexual assault on our campus.

Because it’s almost rivalry week, USC will also be in competition with Clemson to see which school can garner the most pledges. Pledges will be counted on social media using the joint hashtag #ItsOnUs #UofSC, so be sure to Tweet, Instagram, and/or post FB status’ using those hashtags so we can beat Clemson, while supporting a good cause in the process.

In addition to the hashtag, students are also being encouraged to change their profile pictures to the It’s On Us awareness graphic, posted below:

If you weren’t able to make it out today, the table will also be set up on Nov. 18, Nov. 21, Nov. 24 and Nov. 25 from 11-2 p.m. Additionally, Carolina and Clemson will be both participating in a campus-wide “white out” against sexual assault on Nov. 20, so show your support by wearing white that day!

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!