Global Café Brings International Cuisine to USC Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Via Jessica Snyder, The Daily Gamecock

The Global Café, located inside the Darla Moore School of Business, is a fairly new dining option for University of South Carolina students. Their motto is “a taste of world cuisines,” and that’s exactly what they give you.

Every three weeks a poll is sent out to students to vote on the next country to be featured, and sometimes an international chef is even brought in to give the students the most authentic experience.

In addition to the occasional featured international chef, the Global Café employs 25 people representing 19 different countries and 17 different languages. These countries include America, Costa Rica, Iraq, Mongolia and more.

Terry Lovelace, the manager of the Global Café, has an international work background. Lovelace says he believes the Global Café is a good environment because it promotes diversity and can be “challenging and rewarding.”  As for his recommendation on what to order, he claims the most popular sandwich is the French Dip. Lovelace said he “wasn’t able to discontinue it because so many students complained.”

It is clearly a popular place to eat amongst students and a refreshing change for those looking to try international foods. And starting this spring you can look out for Polish food at the Global Café. Smacznego!

Elaine Declasp

South Carolina

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!