Galentine’s Day Looks for the Girl Who Loves Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Check out our HCSC look-book of chic styles that keep you V-Day appropriate without the cheesy color palate. These are perfect for going out with the girls, and best of all; they avoid the Pepto-Bismol shades that come along with Feb. 14.

Trade Pink for Plum 

Okay, so your favorite color is black and you cringe at the word “pink.” Well, our first solution for you is to try to add a different “P” word into your night. Think fruity, with the color plum.  It’s chic, bold, and although not traditional, acceptable for the lovely day of February 14th. And best of all, both a blazer or skirt can be paired with black shirts.

Polka Dot Tights 

Maybe you don’t want to add color into your life – even if it’s for only one night.  Well then, you can just add a pattern! Nothing says Galentine’s day like a pair of printed tights – especially polka dot ones. They give the girly effect without being too girly. It’s even acceptable for your polka dot tights to be black—what more could you ask for?!

Shoe Some Style

Make your shoe your pop of color.  Every great shoe can’t be black (even though we think most of them are), and it doesn’t feel overwhelming when the only color you’re wearing is on your feet!  Wear a blush, ivory, raspberry, or plum color shoe to take part in the festivities, without adding too much color.  Plus, if you don’t already own a heel in one of these shades, we just gave you an excuse to buy a new pair. You’re welcome.

Tea Time

Let’s not forget the classy and elegant tea-length skirt.  The best part about this piece is that it can be satin, tulle, or silk, and it won’t even matter!  This timeless piece can be as feminine or as non-traditional as you would like.  Lacey, pleated, sheer—all are fitting!  This look is fierce yet exceedingly ladylike. What a perfect combo for Galentine’s Day

Compensate with an Accessory

This is the best of all the rest, and here’s why: you can wear all black and just add a festive accessory!  Whether it is a polished piece of jewelry, or a pair of simple blush earrings, you will achieve a marvelous Galentine’s day outfit—even while wearing a so-called “monochromatic heartless outfit.”  Let’s be real, Galentine’s day is all about doing things you love with the people you love, so why shouldn’t you be able to wear the color you love?  Another sneaky trick to adding a lighthearted accessory is to wear a blush lip color.  Lip color is the best accessory and will always complete your Galentine’s day look!

Kiss, kiss for all the haters who hate black, xoxo.

Lexie Liston

South Carolina

Hey there! My name is Lexie Liston and I am currently a Junior at the University of South Carolina majoring in Retail Management with a minor in PR and Advertising. When I'm not actively writing a piece for Her Campus, I am usually nose deep in the latest issue of Bazaar or Vogue. While my style is very monochromatic, I love looking for ways to spice up my wardrobe. When treating myself to the latest issue, I am almost always treating myself to a hot drink as well. You could say that I'm obsessed with coffee (I mean 2-3 cups a day is still healthy for you, right?). Wrong. I'm trying a new habit of drinking tea. No - not Chai tea that basically tastes like coffee - real, organic, herb, green tea (it's actually pretty good, just add honey). In the midst of all my caffeinated drinks and reading, I love to spend my lazy moments watching Friends or New Girl. Jennifer Aniston will be my lifelong role model. If you love these shows as much as I do, you'll see the humor come through in my articles and features (I hope). I try to be 'punny' most of the time so I hope you enjoy!
SC Contributor

South Carolina