This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Donald Trump in Gilbert, SC. Photo: Colin Demarest – follow him on Twitter: @demarest_colin

It seems like everyone is suddenly interested in politics this election season…or at least, they’re interested in Donald Trump.

Whether you love him or hate him, you can’t avoid seeing the billionaire businessman in the headlines. Which is why Her Campus SC felt compelled to write about the candidate’s visit to the Greater Columbia Area.

Trump headlined a rally in Gilbert, SC yesterday, about 40 minutes from our campus. Thousands of people gathered outside of Harmon’s Tree Farm, waiting for hours in order to hear the candidate talk about his usual topics: building a wall for border security, strengthening our military, and repealing and replacing Obamacare.

Trump supporter being interviewed by press. Photo: Colin Demarest – follow him on Twitter: @demarest_colin

Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster, a long-time Republican voice in South Carolina, publicly announced his endorsement for Trump at the rally, saying, “Donald Trump Speaks the Truth. He’s a man of decision. He’s a man of action.”

But it appeared the endorsement wasn’t necessary in order to convince the zealous crowd members. The majority of people were already decked out in “Make America Great Again” hats and Trump-themed buttons, as they cheered for their favorite candidate.

Trump supporter sells merchandise. Photo: Colin Demarest – follow him on Twitter: @demarest_colin

The state’s important ‘First in the South’ primary is coming up on February 20, and Trump is trying to secure the votes of South Carolinians. He promised the Gilbert crowd he would be back to SC multiple times before that primary. And it seems he is already living up to that promise, as Trump is scheduled to appear in Florence next Friday, February 5. He will host another rally at the Florence Civic Center.

**If you were planning to hear (or drink to) Trump’s speeches in tonight’s Republican Debate on Fox, you’re going to be disappointed. Trump RSVP’d a fat “No” to tonight’s debate because Megyn Kelly is moderating and Trump “doesn’t like her.” So if you were in the mood for some catty drama tonight, maybe opt for Mean Girls instead.

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!