Coffee Brewing Alternatives to a Keurig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

There is no doubt that coffee is an essential part of the day. While popping a K-cup into your Keurig seems like the fastest way to get a caffeine fix, the quality of the coffee is poor. These alternative brewing methods are perfect for a college lifestyle because they produce fine coffee in a reasonable amount of time.

Moka Pot 

What you’ll need: finely ground coffee, boiled water and a stovetop.

This little espresso maker is a game changer. A quality latte from the comfort of your home? Say no more. Simply add the coffee and boiling water to the bottom of the pot, place it on the stovetop and wait about five minutes. Then, add a cup of your favorite milk or substitute. Pro tip: purchase this handheld milk frother to create the perfect latte foam.

French Press

What you’ll need: course ground coffee and boiling water

French press coffee is perfect for the person that cares about drinking a quality cup of coffee. All you have to do is add coffee and boiling water into the French press, wait about five minutes and press the plunger down to filter the coffee. It may take a few tries to find the perfect water to coffee ratio depending on how strong you drink your coffee. Once you use a French press, it will be hard to go back to a regular coffee maker.    

Overnight Cold Brew

What you’ll need: course ground coffee and a French Press (or coffee filter).

Cold brew coffee is a refreshing way to stay energized throughout the day. This cold brew technique is the best for an on-the-go lifestyle since it brews overnight. In the evening, combine coffee grounds and water into a French press and place in the refrigerator. After about 12 hours, take the coffee out and press the plunger down to filter the coffee. If you don’t have a French press, you can use a jar and pour the coffee through a regular coffee filter.

Pour Over

What you’ll need: perfectly ground coffee, coffee filter and boiling water

This method gives you the most control over the strength of your coffee and pulls the most flavor from the coffee beans. So basically, if you’re a coffee snob: this is the method for you. Place the coffee filter and ground coffee in the pour over and slowly pour boiling water through the filter. This method may take some patience and practice, but the end result is worth it.

A fresh cup of coffee is a necessity to keep you moving the whole day. Instead of sticking with your usual brewing method, change it up and try one of these. 

Kenna Coe

South Carolina

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.