Beware: Doug Fisher Ahead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

His large stature and sometimes sarcastic tones scare many people away from this week’s campus celebrity, Senior Instructor Doug Fisher, but there’s no need to fear this “huge teddy bear.” Stories swirl around about his classes and students say you should avoid him, but we’re here to tell you why you should make you way into Professor Fisher’s office before your time at the university is up.

1.     He’s there to help you.

Though it may seem like the cliché thing to say about a professor, helping students succeed and eventually getting that job they want is what he is there to do. Fisher’s years of experience have connected him with people who still call him today when one of his former students is on the employer’s potential hire list. While sitting and talking with him, he said there were three or four emails with job offers sitting in his email at that very moment. He uses his social media sites to posts writing tips and to post job opportunities on a regular basis.

2.     Been there. Done that.

Forty one years in this business. This man knows what he’s doing. Getting the feel for the world of journalism from his college’s radio station, his career started from there.  He has worked for a 50,000-watt radio station with Andrea Mitchell, covered breaking news stories on television and in newspapers, and was the news editor for the Associated Press. Fisher’s work has put people in prison but has also touched people’s lives, so he can show you the ropes on how this journalism thing goes.

3.     He knows a little bit of everything.

As a young boy, Dough took interest in astronomy and eventually decided to major in astrophysics in college to become a professor in the subject. Even though his life plans were completely skewed from what he originally wanted to do, he received a dual degree in economics and political science and had enough credit hours for a minor in astrophysics. 

4.     His work is realistic.

Reporting, editing, and news room management are just a few courses you can expect to see Doug’s name on here at USC. Speaking from experience, taking one of his courses IS NOT EASY, but it’s worth it. He’s going to challenge you and he even may make you feel like giving up sometimes, but I think he put it best by saying, “The classes I teach, teach very valuable skills…they teach you how to think, they teach you how to organize, they teach you how to manage thing, they teach you how to basically reduce things logically.” Take advantage of him while he’s still her because retirement is right around the corner.

Don’t let the rumors steer you away from a man who can eventually help you with your future, especially if you plan on having a career in journalism. If you can’t work up the courage to go sit down and talk to him just yet, check out his blog, Common Sense Journalism, it’s a great way to get to know him through his work.