Profile: Sheila Shupe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Sheila Shupe is a freshman English teacher at Sonoma State University. I took English 100 with her for a whole year, and after that class I decided I wanted to minor in English. Sheila is one of the most dedicated teachers I have ever had and is always willing to help you whether it’s in class, office hours, or outside office hours. I look up to her because of everything she has accomplished and I want to follow her footsteps and be as adventurous as she was. I am now Sheila’s student assistant, so I decided to ask her a few questions about herself.

HC: Where did you grow up?

Sheila Shupe:California is the short answer. I was born in San Jose, then lived in San Luis Obispo and went to high school in the Sacramento area.

HC: Is there anything you hated about high school?

SS: Sometimes I feel like I didn’t have a voice with my teachers, like they didn’t listen to me, or take me seriously.

HC: Is there anything you loved about high school?

SS: I loved the social aspect. I played softball, I was in the marching band, and I had a lot of good friends. I loved that.

HC: Which university did you attend? Was it your dream school?

SS: Indiana University. Ummmmmmm, no not at the time. I wanted to go to UCSB or UCSD but I didn’t get in. & Indiana gave me a scholarship so I said, “okay california screw youuuuuuu.” And then I missed California like crazy.

HC: What did you major/minor in?

SS: English major and minored in french and biology.

HC: Is there anything you regret not doing while you were in college?

SS: Studying abroad.

HC: If you could go anywhere in the world with expenses paid, where would you go?

SS: Iceland. But idk why, maybe because it’s expensive to get there and they have epic hot springs.

HC: What’s something that you live by?

SS: Take a risk. My mom used to tell me that.

HC: What has been your favorite job yet?

SS: That’s really tough. I’ve had a lot of different job experiences. I would have to say teaching. It’s not my favorite right now, but I think it’s the one that I love the most and it’s the one I don’t dread. I don’t dread going to class, I never have.

HC: What’s a fun fact about yourself?

SS: I worked on a cruise ship for a year.

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.