This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Recently I’ve been feeling like I need to get my shit together, you know?  Everything in my life is going pretty well, but honestly, I gained more weight than I would have liked to during the first semester.  It was a combination of eating crappy food, not working out enough, being sad a lot, and then the holiday season.  I really had no motivation to get in shape until now.  My family and I are going to Europe this summer for the first time and my mom and I want to look our best, so I figured I’d start now.  Right now at SSU, they are offering free workout classes until March 9th, and I intend to make the most of them.  I’ve always felt pressure to be in shape and fit, but it wasn’t until about a year ago that I realized I didn’t need to be some perfect skinny twig, the way the rest of the world was telling me to look.  Sure, maybe I could lose some weight in my hips and stomach, but this new fitness journey is about more than just losing weight in order to better fit into skinny jeans.  I want to finally prove something to myself about my mental and physical abilities, and I am finally ready to take on the challenge.

Day 1: I started off the day tired and not wanting to go to my 8 AM (but what else is new).  I somehow got through the day with a nap, a burrito, and some root beer because I couldn’t resist.  I was falling asleep in my 2:30 class, hating myself for staying up until 1am.  Then I forced myself to get my ass out of bed and go to a free workout class.  I had been trying to go to one for weeks, but this was the first time I actually got myself to go.  So I went, and it was great.  I went to the cardio/abs class and it was really great.  It was really high energy and it was exactly what I was looking for.  I stayed in the gym for a little longer and then went to get dinner.  Keeping in mind that I had just worked out, I had some soup, chocolate milk, and a bowl of garbanzo beans, because I guess I like garbanzo beans now.

Day 2: I feel like I’m dying and I can’t move my arms, but I made it to work, thank god.  I only had one class and then I napped the rest of the day, and had a root beer float…oops.  

Day 3: Waking up today was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I had some cottage cheese and half of a donut for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch.  I’m finding that smaller portions are what’s probably going to be key for me at this point.  I went to another workout class called abs buns and thighs,  and I don’t think I have ever worked out my lower body like that.  So we’ll see how sore I am tomorrow.

Day 4: So I’m not as sore as I thought I would be.  I’m not going to be able to eat until 1 or 3 PM so that’s fun.  I watched a video last night that reminded me that food is fuel, and right now I’m not fueling myself so well.  I’m going to try and go to another class tonight and hopefully eat something healthy for lunch.  Working out and trying to eat right feels good though.  

Day 5: I slept in today, finally.  I had some pasta and meat for lunch and tried to get some homework and studying in, but it didn’t necessarily work out as planned.  I need to go to the gym.

How to: tattoos http://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/how-tattoos-0

My journey through weight loss http://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/my-journey-through-weight-loss

How to help your resume when you have little experience http://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/how-help-your-resume-when-you-have-little-experience

Second year at SSU. Hobbies of mine include Photography, Writing, and Singing in the shower.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma