Let’s Talk About Props

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

There are 18 propositions that will be on the California ballot for the 2016 election and the outcomes will affect every California resident. I think we can all agree that the power to vote is more valued in America today than it has been in a very long time. With that being said, it is time to get informed, make sure that we do our best to vote and let our voices be heard. In my review, here are some of the most talked about propositions that I would like to focus on:

Proposition 56 – Tobacco Tax Increase

Voting yes on Prop 56 means that the tax on a pack of cigarettes and all other tobacco related products will be raised to $2.00! That is an insane jump and will force a large amount of people in California to ration or even quit smoking! This seems like an easy choice folks, smoking is bad and kills people every day, and this tax could provide incentive to transition to a healthier lifestyle. On the other hand, people die every day, period. It’s your life and you should be able to do what you want, and in the wise words of Carrie Underwood, “Sometimes I need a smoke break”!

Proposition 58 – California Non-English Languages Allowed in Public Education Act

Proposition 58 allows the chance for all children in California to succeed in life. It will require that proficient levels of English are reached first, enact programs that have community and parental help, as well as allow guardians to choose programs that best fit their child in learning a second language. I have found out in my college career that even with a degree I could still be a second option when trying to get a job. Employers want to know if you are bilingual nowadays and unfortunately I am not. This makes it harder for me to obtain a job in certain areas and because my degree will be in communications, my odds aren’t looking so great! By voting yes we are giving all children the opportunity to speak two languages as well as giving every child a necessity in life.

Proposition 60 – Condoms in Pornographic Films Initiative

What is hotter than getting hot and heavy with your boy toy? Nothing! But what happens when it comes time for the big moment? DON’T forget the condom! That’s not what happens in porn though, why “ruin the moment”? If you have been in this situation before, think again! By passing prop 60 all filmstars in porn will have to wear condoms during sex! This needs to be passed because it will promote safe sex, keep pornographic film stars safe, and will be more accepted in everyday life.  

Proposition 62 – Repeal of the Death Penalty Initiative

I am extremely curious to see what happens with proposition 62. If passed the death penalty will be repealed and all of the inmates on death rowe will no longer be facing the end that was expected. I think we can all agree that something needs to change with the death penalty; whether it be repealing it or changing how we go about it. We all know that even when summoned to death there are tons of appeals that prolong the process as well as it being too expensive to actually make happen most of the time. At this point California needs to shit or get off the pot. If I vote yes on prop 62 it won’t be because I don’t think it is fair or right, it will be because it isn’t worth all of the hassle and money that goes towards appeals when most of the time the death penalty doesn’t get carried out.

Proposition 64 – California Marijuana Legalization Initiative

Proposition 64 is in favor of legalizing the recreational use of marijuana while imposing taxes on it as well. A lot of people say that marijuana is a gateway drug and that it kills your brain cells, etc. However alcohol has similar, arguably worse, effects but is legal in all 50 states. Oregon, Washington, Colorado and some other states have already legalized Marijuana and have gained so much financial support by being able to tax it through the state. To be honest people can get their medicinal recommendation over the internet in just ten minutes, I know this because I tried it myself! Legalizing the recreational use would only be beneficial at this point!

My name is Nickey Homen and I am currently a Senior at Sonoma State University. My major is communications and I am interested in pursuing a career in Public Relations and Writing. My hope is by writing for my school I will also be able to explore different writing styles and be able to find my passion in writing. A little more about me though, my hometown is Escalon, Ca. I play soccer and golf for fun and love to do puzzles in my spare time. I work at Pete's Coffee & Tea and I am slowly becoming addicted to coffee. My dream in life is to just be happy and enjoy the little things!
Contributor account for HC Sonoma