Friends Picked Out My Outfit For A Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Picking out an outfit never ends well for me. It ends in a floor full of clothes and a high level of frustration. This week, I decided to try something new. I allowed six of my closest friends to dress me for a week to see what kind of clothes they imagine me in. A small part of me was nervous because we all have different tastes in clothes, but overall it was actually a really exciting week.

On Thursday, my roommate Alissa picked my outfit. She is much more into fashion than I am, so I was a bit nervous for this one. She chose a pair of overalls, a crop top, and white Keds. At first, I felt uncomfortable because I don’t usually show this much skin at school. I found myself going to the bathroom a lot more often than usual just to adjust my shirt and make sure I looked okay. The last time I wore overalls was probably in elementary school, so I was super self conscious of how I looked. A small part of me even assumed people were going to stare at me. By the end of the day, I realized people really don’t care about what you wear. I’m definitely going to borrow these overalls again, just maybe with a different shirt.

On Friday, my roommate Yadira dressed me. I was surprised when she didn’t choose to put me in a dress, skirt, or sandals. She chose a pair of high-waisted black jeans, a crop top, a black leather jacket, and black Chelsea booties. Not going to lie, I definitely felt like a badass in this outfit and even got compliments on it. I don’t think I would have chosen this outfit to go to work in, but I would definitely choose this outfit for a night out!

On Saturday, my roommate Gaby chose my outfit. She chose jeans, a floral shirt that had a cut out on the back, an olive green jacket, and brown booties. By far, this was the outfit I felt most comfortable in. It was an outfit that I would have chosen for myself just because jeans and booties are my favorite. It was appropriate for the occasion and I didn’t feel uncomfortable throughout the night.

On Sunday, my friend Sunday picked my outfit (LOL). I was actually surprised by this outfit because I kind of expected her to choose something a lot more edgy. She went with high waisted jeans, a white crop top, a white and pink Dodgers jersey, white converse, and a black snapback. I definitely felt like I was about to go play baseball, but I actually didn’t mind it at all.  Next time I head to the Dodgers’ stadium, you will probably catch me wearing this outfit.

On Monday, my friend Kelsey picked out my outfit. She went with high waisted jeans, a black crop top, black Chelsea boots, and a tan colored windbreaker. I’m really glad this was the outfit that was chosen because Mondays are my busiest day. My jeans were comfy, my jacket was comfy, my shoes were comfy, it was definitely a comfy day.

On Tuesday, my friend Oscar picked my outfit. I was actually excited to see what outfit he picked out because I don’t think I had ever let a boy pick my outfit. I kind of imagined him picking out random articles of clothing, throwing them together, and calling it an outfit. He went with a colorful crop top, black high waisted jeans, a light colored jacket, and my huaraches from El Salvador. When I first saw the outfit, I was overwhelmed because I usually do not wear that many colors at once. But once I tried it on, I actually really liked it. They’re not pieces of clothing that I would have chosen but the outfit totally worked!

By the end of the week, I was kind  of sad that I had to start dressing myself again because trying out new outfits was a lot of fun. Throughout this week, I learned that if you are ever self conscious about what you are wearing, it is all in your head and the odds are you probably look smoking. I wore pieces of clothing that I didn’t ever imagine myself wearing but was a lot more comfortable than I thought. This made me want to start putting outfits together that I usually don’t wear just to experiment!

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma