We Need to Talk About the Attack in Somalia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Soka chapter.

Terrorist attacks feel like an everyday occurrence in today’s world. When these attacks take place in the West, they dominate the news cycle and the reaction from the world is one of unity, solidarity, and thoughts and prayers. However, despite attacks taking place around the world on a daily basis, when it occurs somewhere other than the West it is virtually overlooked. 

One week ago today, on Saturday, October 14, Mogadishu experienced not only the deadliest attack in Somali history but also one of the world’s most deadly attacks in years. A truck filled with hundreds of kilograms of explosives was detonated in one of the busiest intersections in Somalia’s capital city. The crowded intersection was home to numerous restaurants, hotels, and government offices. As a result of the attack, the Safari Hotel collapsed, buildings were decimated, and vehicles caught on fire. The attack resulted in more than 350 deaths, 400 injuries, and left more than 70 people missing, many of whom are suspected to be trapped under the rubble.

Hospitals in Mogadishu are overflowing with victims injured in the attack and are struggling to treat them all. Many of the victims were burned beyond recognition, keeping families from being able to identify their loved ones. To make matters worse, hospitals are running dangerously low on blood. 

While there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, the Somali government blamed al-Shabaab, an al-Qaeda linked Islamic extremist group. Al-Shabaab has not claimed responsibility, yet there is little doubt that they carried out the attack. Experts say that no other group has the capacity to carry out an attack of this magnitude.

So, why is this attack different? It’s evident that the world isn’t as sympathetic to the victims of this attack as they are when attacks take place in the West. Not only has there been little to no public outrage regarding the attack in Somalia, but the media coverage has also been virtually nonexistent. Why doesn’t an attack in Somalia attract the world’s attention? Why aren’t we all with Somalia? The people affected by the Somalia attack are human beings who lost their loved ones and they deserve our respect, compassion, and mourning. 

The racial motivation behind why this attack is treated differently is a discussion that we can no longer shy away from, but for now I just want to say despite all the people that are staying silent; Somalia, we stand with you, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nellie Hultman is currently a sophomore at Soka University of America where she is studying Social and Behavioral Sciences. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Soka. After living in 6 countries, she has developed a love for traveling, meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, and trying new foods (lots of it). She hopes to continue traveling the world throughout her life. She plans to attend law school after college, and she desires to build a life focused on inspiring, empowering, and serving others. When she’s not doing homework or thinking about ways to change the world, you can find her researching unsolved crimes, singing in the car, watching Seinfeld… or eating.