6 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Soka chapter.

Just because Breast Cancer Awareness Month has passed, doesn’t mean the problem has gone away with it. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. While it is unlikely that a woman will get breast cancer under the age of 40, it’s never too early to educate yourself, whether it be identifying the early signs or taking preventative measures. So, here are six ways to reduce your risk of breast cancer!

1. Drink in Moderation

I know this may not be the most exciting thing to hear as a college student, but moderation is key when it comes to alcohol, as excessive alcohol drinking has been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer. Research shows that women who have two or three alcoholic drinks a day have about a 20% higher risk of getting breast cancer than women who don’t drink at all. We’re not saying you have to stop drinking, but simply drinking less can have a positive effect on your health and reduce your risk of breast cancer later in life.

2. Don’t Smoke

Just don’t do it. Not only is it dangerous for your overall health but research has confirmed that smoking is a contributing risk factor for developing breast cancer. Don’t think you’re in the clear just because you’re not the one smoking; second-hand-smoke is just as big of a concern for developing breast cancer. Choosing not to smoke will not only decrease your risk of getting breast cancer, but it will also allow you to live a healthier life.

3. Be Physically Active

Not only will exercising help you feel less guilty about all those midnight snacks you’ve been having, but it has also been shown to reduce your risk of breast cancer. Research shows that as little as three hours of exercise per week can reduce the risk of breast cancer. Simply going out for a brisk walk for 1 hour to 2 and a half hours per week can reduce your risk of breast cancer by 18 percent.

4. Maintain a Balanced Diet

I think we all saw this one coming, as having a healthy diet is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. That being said, a maintaining a balanced diet can significantly lower your risk of breast cancer. So try and achieve a nutritious and low-fat diet consisting of plenty of fruits and vegetables. Also, try to stay away from red meat, soy products, and sugar-filled foods. And as a bonus, it will give you a bunch of opportunities to take lots of Instagram worthy pictures of your food!

5. Detect It Early

Even though us college students have years to go until regular mammograms, it is recommended that women start performing breast self-exams at the age of 20. You should give yourself a breast self-exam once a month, and look for any changes from last month’s exam. If you notice that is something is different or just doesn’t feel right reach out and talk to your doctor. Early detection is one of the greatest possibilities that a woman has for successful treatment. Thankfully, when breast cancer is detected early and is still localized, the 5-year relative survival rate is 100 percent.

6. Be Aware of Your Family History

Your family history plays a major role in the risk of breast cancer, as having family members who have had breast cancer severely increases your risk. This is why it’s so crucial for you to find out if breast cancer runs in your family so that you can take preventative measures. So pick up that phone and call your family members to find out what your risk is. And why not take advantage of this opportunity and tell your grandma just how special she is!

To learn more about breast cancer and to help those affected by breast cancer, check out the National Breast Cancer Foundation and the American Cancer Society.

Nellie Hultman is currently a sophomore at Soka University of America where she is studying Social and Behavioral Sciences. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Soka. After living in 6 countries, she has developed a love for traveling, meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, and trying new foods (lots of it). She hopes to continue traveling the world throughout her life. She plans to attend law school after college, and she desires to build a life focused on inspiring, empowering, and serving others. When she’s not doing homework or thinking about ways to change the world, you can find her researching unsolved crimes, singing in the car, watching Seinfeld… or eating.