This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

What is fall like in Dallas? If you aren’t from here, you’re in for a serious surprise. Tropical girls will be expecting huge spectacles of leaves changing and a lot of pumpkin spice lattes, and Midwesterners will be hoping for a break from the frozen north. Unfortunately, neither of us will be getting what we expected, because Texans know something we don’t- fall in Dallas is nada.

It’s Short

Girls who are from here say that fall is virtually three days. It is so short because as soon as it gets slightly colder, winter decides to drop in to stay. Stage one- It gets a little cooler. Stage Two- The leaves change color. Stage three-The leaves drop off! Fall is so short here that in one moment you are reveling in the transforming leaves and the next moment they’re all gone!

Courtesy Of SMU

It’s Green- ish.

The leaves do change here, hallelujah. But SMU is not a big fan of things that aren’t green. According to upperclassmen, last year they were replacing grass that had turned brown with new grass in the middle of fall. This way SMU can have the illusion of being green all the time. They can’t control the leaves changing, and yet they are still trying to convince us that seasons aren’t happening. It’s like those little kids who play hide and seek behind their fingers. We know you’re still there!

It’s Sort of Colder

Don’t worry, the temperatures are not going to stay in the 90s forever. Because it is El Niño this year, it should to get a little cooler than usual. El Niño has a series of climatic changes that brings about warm waters to the Eastern Hemisphere and then leaves cold weather in the Western Hemisphere. It’ll get mildly colder and stormier. For our purposes though, we can say that yes, it will be socially appropriate to whip out your scarves. Fall is accessories time!

Courtesy of SMU

Don’t Expect Too Much

Autumn is going to be very different for all of us. For many of us, this is our first time in this city. We are all going to feel that new fall a little differently. I know Florida me will be complaining and tugging on as many sweaters as possible, while my Indiana roommate will probably still be wearing her shorts! Dallas city veterans will simply tell us that there is no way to predict what is going to happen. Just go with the flow.

Courtesy of SMU

So don’t fret, we can still have our pumpkin spice lattes! Think of if as like Fall Lite. It’s not enough to kill you with coldness, but enough to give you a little taste of autumn. You can create cute layered outfits, just be prepared to maybe take your blazer off before your last class. Watch the leaves change and relax! It’s going to get colder outside just as classes heat up, so enjoy the fall vibe. 

Feauture Image Courtesy of Good Housekeeping

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.