Upcoming Movies: What’s a Must-See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

A collegeitte™ knows that having the time to escape and see a movie can seem like quite a luxury. However, with these upcoming movies, I’d make it a priority to see (at least) one. Make Halloween the day to watch the Olsen Twin’s Kid Sister Chilling Thriller, Martha Marcy May Marlene, or get all sappy with the pseudo-love story Like Crazy. Below are some highlights of each.

Like Crazy
Starring:Anton Yelchin, Felicity Jones, & Jennifer Lawrence
Type: Drama
Release Date: October 28th

This Movie lays-out the struggling transcontinental relationship between two College Seniors, Jacob and Anna. They begin dating their last year of college, and compulsion takes over between the two as their infatuation leads to full-on love, unable to be apart. After graduation, Anna, from London, must go home because he Visa is up. This film depicts their struggle to keep their relationship from falling apart, as they wrestle with comprehending that they must—yet cannot—be  together. This isn’t your typical love story; its raw emotion and blunt messiness depicts the truth of committing to a long-distance love, and the confusion that it entails. A fantastic love story that’s perfect to see with your boyfriend, best friend, or (what I prefer) by yourself!

[pagebreak]

In Time
Starring: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, & Olivia Wilde
Type: Action/Thriller
Release Date: October 28th

We all say what we would do if only we had more time. Well in this alternate world, attaining an endless life is possible. In this movie, time is bought and sold like an object, resulting in the rich living for centuries and the poor barely having the time to survive for a few days. However, when decades of time are donated to a poor Will (Justin Timberlake), he takes arms against the corrupt system, challenging it with his partner-in-crime/love interest Sylvia (Amanda Seyfried). This action-dense thriller is great to see with just about anyone. But if you’re looking for a an incentive to go even though action isn’t really your thing, I’m sure watching Justin Timberlake for an hour and a half might give you a good enough reason.

[pagebreak]

Martha Marcy May Marlene
Starring: Elizabeth Olsen, Sarah Paulson, & Hugh Dancy
Type: Thriller
Release Date: October 21st

This movie begins with Martha (the younger sister of the Olsen twins’) escaping her childhood cult of two years. Martha’s older sister picks her up from a payphone, taking Martha into her home to recover. However, Martha has become too affected by the cult and the eccentricities that it has instilled into her daily life. The movie is broken up with flashbacks to Martha’s cult days, each memory becoming more vivid and disturbing than the last. You’ll be captivated by Elizabeth Olsen’s character, as you travel into her mind and discover the psychology of child cults and the effects that they have on children. Winner of the Sundance Film Festival’s Best Drama Award, it’s a thriller that is so abnormal, so interesting, you couldn’t look away if you wanted to. Good to see with your intellectual BFF, or whoever enjoys a good mind-stimulating thriller.

[pagebreak]

The Rum Diary
Starring: Johnny Depp, Amber Heard, Aaron Eckhart
Type: Adventure/Action
Release Date: October 28th                                                                                                                  

In this film, Johnny Depp portrays freelance journalist Paul Kemp who is tired of the craziness his life entails in New York City. Looking for something fresh, he decides to pack-up his things and head down to Puerto Rico to write for a local newspaper. However, when he arrives the excitement and dynamic of the land take him by surprise, and he finds himself caught up in the corrupt mess of American businessmen looking to exploit Puerto Rico. These businessmen ask Kemp to write articles in their favor, forcing Kemp into a dilemma. Kemp finds himself in even deeper trouble when he falls in love with the fiancé (Amber Heard) of one of these high-powered businessmen. Watch Johnny do what he does best—make a narrow escape from the bad guys and get the girl in the end. Great to see with your best guy friend!

[pagebreak]

50/50
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, & Anna Kendrick
Type: Comedy/Drama
Release Date: September 30th

This movie may have been out for a few weeks, but its worth being on this list as a must-see. It’s the unusual story of what life is like when you’re your young, your health seems fine, and then out of nowhere—you have cancer. Adam discovers he has a rare form of cancer and that he has a 50% chance of survival. This movie gives the audience what feels like real-life insight as to what its like to deal with cancer at such a young age. Seth Rogen’s character Kyle is Adam’s best friend, and he helps Adam cope with living with cancer by showing him some upsides to having the disease. This heartfelt film puts a Kitschy-cool spin on what life’s really like when you have cancer and you’ll be left a little more grateful for your health. Perfect to see with your friends or boyfriend.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.