Summer Internship Seeking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Interested in a Summer Internship but clueless as to how to find the right one?

Start you searching process here! Internships are becoming increasingly important when it comes to landing a job, as many companies almost require that their employees have some experience in a corporate environment. Below are a few ways for a Collegiette to find the internship perfect for her!

MustangTrak

• MustangTrak is the place to go to find all information about internship and job listings. Part of the Hegi Career center, the site posts hundreds of job opportunities from companies around the country for all areas of studying. As an SMU student, you have access to create an account and search away! You can upload your resume, and even sign up to receive emails when jobs you are interested in are listed. This should definitely be your first step in the search for an internship process.
  • If you aren’t really sure how to create a profile online, go straight to the source to get some guidance. Use The Hegi Family Career Development Center on campus, located on the second level of Hughes-Trigg. The center will help you set up your profile, teach you how to search for a job and even tell you about upcoming networking, internship and employment events. At the center, Job fairs, career advice, and resume and networking help are all available throughout the year, and you can even schedule personal meetings with career counselors. Drop in times are also open throughout the week for any questions you may have regarding the internship search.
  • If even after following through with the first two steps, you find yourself clueless about what kind of internship you’re interested or where to look, set up an appointment with your academic advisor. Advisors often know of many different job resources, and can help you narrow down your search, as well as give you helpful tips to land the internship. Oftentimes, if your advisor isn’t personally knowledgeable about the subject, she or he can direct you to someone who is.
  • Lastly, and for many, the most common way to land an internship, is through networking, especially with family and friends. Do you have a cousin who works in the Public Relations Industry in New York? Give her a call and see if she has or knows of any internship opportunities. Or maybe a friend’s dad is an attorney at a firm—be bold and ask if there are any openings for a spot. Positions are often found this way, and it is definitely worth a try. The worst that could happen is being turned down, but you could land your dream internship this way. On that note, always be friendly and open to meeting people, as a good amount of college students find their dream internships on a stroke of luck—like talking to your neighbor on an airplane flight, who happens to work for a company you love! Leave every door open—as making connections is the way to make your mark.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.