Planning on Going Abroad? How to Figure it All Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

If you are like many SMU collegiettes™, you hope to study abroad sometime during your time in college. Going abroad can be life changing in so many ways, but solving all of the initial questions like “Where do I want to study?” or “For how long?” can be overwhelming.  The thought of figuring out your plan might leave you wondering where to even begin. Well, I’m here to help you answer that question by giving you a starting point.

SMU has over 130 programs all around the world. Check out the SMU abroad home page (https://abroad.smu.edu/) and look over all of the different programs available. On the website an overview for each program and advice for how to choose a program is given. Before you begin looking at each one, ask yourself questions about to figure out where you might be interested. Have you always wanted to visit Italy? Do you not want to miss boulevarding in the fall? Keeping an open mind is important, but answering simple questions like these and weighing the costs and benefits of each program will help you filter out those that wouldn’t interest you.

After checking out online the programs and finding some that you have interests in, go talk to your counselor. Often, people have an idea where they want to study but do not know which program suits them best. Your counselor can help you decide which one is for you. Because so many factors should be considered when you make your decision (cost, duration of time, etc.) having someone to guide and help you in the process is key. Even if your counselor can’t answer all of your questions, they can most likely direct you to someone they know who can answer your specific questions.

Once you have narrowed your options down to a few different programs, talk to people you know who went on the same trips to get a feel for what their personal experiences were like. Ask them questions like what they liked and didn’t like about their time abroad. However, don’t read too much into their experiences, and never make your decision because of someone else’s good or bad experience. No matter what, each person’s time abroad is different, so just because one person didn’t enjoy it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t like it either.

Finally, as I haven’t gone abroad (yet!) I have some advice for you from SMU Senior JoJo Shipp, who studied abroad in Oxford this past summer.

HC: How did you figure out where you wanted to go abroad?
JS: Well, I don’t speak another language fluently so I didn’t want to go anywhere with a language barrier.

HC: Makes sense! What made you decide to go in the summer and not during a semester?
JS: Six weeks is a perfect time span because I’m close with my family, and to me a semester is too long of a time. If I went in the fall I’d miss football season and spring semester has some of my favorite parties so I didn’t want to miss those either.

HC: What were some of the things you did before you went abroad in preparation for your time away?
JS: My mom and I went over two and a half weeks before my program started which was nice since I wasn’t jet lagged. Also, making sure your credit cards and cell phone work is a HUGE thing to take care of, a lot of people struggled with that and it was a pain for them.

HC: Would you recommend going abroad? If so, Why?
JS: YES!!! It’s incredible, and if I could change one thing about my four years at SMU, I’d go abroad every summer. I met so many new people that I’m still tight with and they’re all incredible. Also, being outside the US really expands your horizons and helps you grow up.

HC: Do you have any advice for people who are starting to plan their abroad experience?
JS: I went “with” two of my close friends, and I think it’s a good idea to have at least one buddy. It’s not a necessity, but it’s a nice security blanket to have while you’re getting to know your group. And in terms of traveling on weekends, book as far in advance as you can because it gets expensive!

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.