The Man Behind the Scooter: Nick Chao ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We all know him. He’s a legend here on campus. With two wheels and one motor, he whizzes through campus, setting our collective Pony hearts a-flutter and our YikYaks on fire. Scooter Kid, Nick Chao, has been an SMU legend ever since he whipped out the scooter in fall 2013. Her Campus SMU sat down with Nick Chao to talk to him about the man behind the wheels.

Courtesy of Nick Chao

Her Campus SMU: Your major is Computer Science and Engineering. How did you get into these fields?

Nick Chao: I’ve always had a thing when it came to computers. I took my first coding class my sophomore year in high school, AP Computer Science, and I ended up being really good at it. I always knew I wanted to do something in Engineering; it really was a question of what field. So when it came time to picking a major, I thought back to the classes I took in high school, calculus and physics were naturally easy to me but coding was something that challenged me every project I did. There’s no other feeling when you’re staring at your code for 3+ hours, trying to figure out what’s wrong with your program and all of a sudden you realize what the issue is. You feel like you can do anything. So during freshmen orientation, I went with majoring in Computer Science. Eventually I decided I wanted to know more about how computers work so I added an Electrical Engineering minor and switched to Computer Engineering major. Computer Engineering majors are 95 percent the same as Computer Science majors but we have to take EE classes as well. I’m now a double major in Computer Engineering and Math with minors in EE, Physics and Creative Computing. 

HCSMU: What is your favorite thing about CompSci?

NC: My favorite thing about CompSci is that you can literally do anything with it. From coding a robot to do xyz, to building an entire website. It’s such a satisfying feeling when you finish a program or application and can say, “yeah, I built that.”

HCSMU: So, what year do you graduate, and what are your future plans with your major?

NC: I will graduate on time in May 2017, however, I’m in the 4+1 program so I will stay an additional year to get my Masters in Security Engineering. Then I hope to get some sort of job in cyber security.

Courtesy of Nick Chao

HCSMU: You work in the ALEC- tell us about your position. What subject do you work on the most?

NC: I’ve been working as tutor at the ALEC for a while now. I tutor Computer Science, Math, a little bit of Electrical Engineering, and a little bit of Physics (mechanics). Most of the time I get people who need help programing.

HCSMU: You also work as a TA, for what class?

NC: I’m a TA for CSE 1341 and CSE 1342(Java and C++). Both are introduction classes in Computer Science and I highly suggest all majors take one. Coding is not as difficult as people think it is and it’s a great skill to put on your resume no matter what you do.

HCSMU: Do you have any funny stories about being in the ALEC?

NC: There would be some days when 15+ students would all come in for java help and I would literally be walking around three or four different tables debugging code/answering questions and immediately moving onto the next person.

HCSMU: What’s the most fun class you have ever taken at SMU?

NC: Although stressful, I think most engineering majors would agree with me that Intro to Engineering Design (KNW 2300) is one of the most fun classes to take here at SMU. I think it’s a great class because from day one you have to work as a team with other engineers from all of the engineering disciplines to build a robot. You start of as strangers to one another but by the end of the semester y’all build friendships that last a long time. I still talk to and hang out with the majority of my freshmen design group.

Courtesy of Nick Chao

HCSMU: So, you’re on the SMU basketball tickets. How did you get there, exactly?

NC: Well my sister is an alumnus here; she graduated in 2012. She was also a cheerleader and in Gamma Phi Beta so she’s always had a lot of spirit when it comes to SMU. I believe SMU had some sort of competition on Twitter like, “Why are you MVM (Most valuable mustang)” and she won and wanted me to be on the tickets with her. Anyways, they asked us around August to come get our photo taken for the basketball tickets.

HCSMU: So are you generally a big supporter of SMU sports? What is your favorite and least favorite thing about SMU basketball?

NC: I’ve never really been into watching sports. I was one of those people who would rather play than watch, but after coming to SMU I realized watching sports isn’t really about watching. It’s more about supporting your team and hanging out with friends while you do it. It’s as much of a social event as it is a sports event and I believe every Mustang should be going to at least a few games a year no matter the sport. My least favorite thing about SMU basketball is that people only care when we’re winning. The more we win the more people show up to the games. We should be going to the games no matter if we’re winning or losing.

HCSMU: Are there any other extra curricular activities you do?

NC: I’m a member of Theta Tau, the Professional Engineering Fraternity. In fact I was just initiated recently. It’s a really great organization that does a lot of good but also has a lot of fun.

I’m also a member of the SMU Cyber Security Club. We have competition coming up that I made the team for. It’s called the Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (CCDC). Basically, a bunch of teams from a whole bunch of schools spend eight hours doing their best to protect a network while a red team of professional hackers are constantly trying to take down services on the network. This will be [my] first time doing it so I’m pretty excited; SMU usually does really well too. Our preliminary competition is this Saturday, February 27.

Courtesy of Nick Chao

HCSMU: Everyone knows you at Scooter Kid, and you actually have an Instagram called @smuscooterguy. How long have you had the scooter, and why exactly do you have the scooter?

NC: I’ve been using scooters at SMU since my first day as a freshman. That original scooter only lasted a semester and was terrible. I got the scooter I have now during my second semester, over two years ago. The reason I got the scooter was actually because I was very ill when I started school. I was even using a cane to get around. I’m perfectly fine now and sometimes I even walk to class. Now it’s just a fun and efficient way to get around.

HCSMU: How does it feel to be a sort of meme on campus?

NC: I didn’t know I was considered a meme. The stuff I’ve seen on YikYak usually makes me laugh though. It’s kind of cool to be able to go out and always have a few people know who I am even if I don’t know them. I think it makes me approachable. I can’t tell you how many friends I’ve made from being famous on this campus and people just walking up to me to strike up a conversation. As an introvert it’s nice to make friends so easily. At the same time, I always feel like I’m being watched so I try my best to avoid doing anything stupid.

Courtesy of Nick Chao

HCSMU: People are always really excited to see you on the scooter, saying that you high five them as you go by and that you’re just really fun. What is the best scooter story that you have?

NC: I really don’t know. There are so many stories to tell but honestly, the best part about riding the scooter is the looks I see on people’s faces. Seeing someone’s face light up in excitement makes my day and I’m glad I can do that.

HCSMU: Favorite SMU memory?

NC: This is another hard one to decide. SMU is such a great school and the community here is amazing. I was once on my scooter at night, trying to clear my head after getting stuck doing a circuit’s homework problem. I ended up stopping for a minute to check my phone and some guy I may or may not have even known comes up to me and asks me what I was doing. It turns out that he and a bunch of people from my circuit’s class were in Kathy Crow trying to figure out the homework as well. He invited me to come work on it together in Kathy Crow and I ended up making a lot of new friends who I never met before. Most of my friends I make start out in similar situations. It’s the little things like this story that give me no doubt I chose the right school.

Courtesy of Nick Chao

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.