Liar, Liar Pants on Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We’ve all been there, done that, and watched that white little lie slip out between our lips. It happens. We rationalize, telling ourselves that it was for the better and that telling the person the truth would be more hurtful than telling a fib. In some aspects, it even saves our own sanity, scared to face the absolute, stark reality of the truth. But, getting in the habit of lying on the regular can cause major problems in your life, your relationships, and your friendships. Not only do people lose their trust in you, but in your character as well.

In a relationship, trust is crucial. You should be able to feel comfortable enough with yourself and him to be honest. There’s no point in being bluntly rude to a fault, but when you have something to tell him, there’s no better option then to let it all out or you’ll live the rest of your relationship in fear of him finding out. If you guys as a couple can’t face the truth together, then you probably aren’t strong enough to handle the trials and tribulations of the average relationship. It’s going to suck for the first couple weeks. You will have to deal with the consequences of your actions and telling the truth, yet this will outweigh the consequences of lying to him in the future. The present pain will slowly wilt away and trust will regain itself.

Friendships come and go. Being on a college campus with thousands of people to hangout with, why choose to be friends with one you know you can’t fully trust? Honestly is difficult, it’s harsh, and it can be painful, but it’s respected. If you value honesty, your friends will know to be honest with you. I’ve always felt that being the one friend that says everything that everyone else is thinking is the best way to strengthen your relationships. Your friends know that you’ll say what is needed to be said even if in the moment it’s hurtful. It’s these kinds of friends that people turn to in the most serious times of need.

Moral of the story: don’t lie. Not just because it’s the right thing to do, but also because it saves your character. You never want to be that person that friends question your loyalty and honesty, the “sketchball” that others are wary of. Honesty is hard to come by these days. If you find such a rare commodity, hold on to it.