pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Jenny Katlein ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Jenny Katlein is a face you’ve seen before- wearing red, white and blue the SMU Pom Squad captain is always smiling and dancing while cheering on the Mustangs. The SMU senior, double majoring in Sports Management and Education while minoring in Dance, is a force to be reckoned with, not only balancing work and dance but also sorority commitments as a Delta Gamma, holding a position as an Honor Board Junior Member.

Her Campus SMU: What is your favorite activity on campus you’re involved with?

Jenny Katlein: My favorite activity I am involved in is honestly a tie between DG and Pom!

HC: I know you’re involved with SMU Pom Squad. How long have you been part of the team?

JK: This is my 3rd year on the SMU Pom Squad.

HC: Have you done any form of dance or cheer before joining? How long did you do it for?

JK: I did studio dance from age 3 through high school (15 years), high school drill team my junior and senior year (2 years), and I am in the dance program at SMU (current).

HC: What is your major? 

JK: My majors are Sport Management and Education with a dance minor.

HC: What do you plan to do after college?

JK: After college I either want to work in the sports industry or be a high school drill team instructor. 

HC: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

JK: Most people don’t know that I was in a Barney movie when I was 5 years old.

HC: Can you give advice to any first-year students?

JK: Get involved- SMU and Dallas has so much to offer so explore the opportunities the campus has to offer as well as the community. 

HC: What is a motto or quote you live by?

JK: “For I know the plans I have for you ,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Courtesy of SMU Pom Squad

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.