How to dress for fall in Dallas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

From the chilly high 50s in the morning to the warm late 80s in the evening and, more recently, the very wet, very humid midday, the question is: how does one dress for fall in Dallas? To dress for the season or the weather? Or perhaps, the morning or the afternoon? Here are some ideas to keep in mind when switching out your summer-to-fall wardrobe:

Layers

Layers are everything when it comes to bipolar Dallas weather. You can walk into your morning class with a sweater over your flannel and out with it tied around your shoulders. Then, for the afternoon’s warmer weather, you can ditch the sweater and roll up your sleeves for a cooler outfit. A scarf is another perfect layering item; it’s stylish and warm but easy to take off and throw in your backpack or purse. 

Courtesy of Look Book 

Rain Jacket, Boots and Umbrella

Recently, we’ve learned these are a must when it comes to fall weather, one minute you’re walking to class and the next you’re swimming. Plus, who doesn’t love channeling their inner Blair Waldorf? Rocking a long raincoat is the perfect way to do it. 

Courtesy of Fashionable Things

Statement Jackets

A light jacket that makes a style statement is perfect for fall evenings in Dallas. You can create your outfit around them so it’s almost just like wearing a warm top. If you’re going out for the evening you won’t have to worry about where to put it when you take it off because light jackets are the perfect weight to leave on all night. They’ll keep you fashionable and just warm enough. 

Courtesy of Look Books

Feature Image: Courtesy of Pinterest

Gabby is a sophomore at SMU majoring in Creative Advertising and Fashion Media and minoring in Graphic Design. She is a member of Tri Delta, and she loves traveling, puppies, and all things art. You can follow her on Instagram @gabrielle_grubb
We are the SMU Team.