Fall Into Fashions Most Desirable Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Fall Into Fashions Most Desirable Looks

Although we are still walking around in our little sundresses and tank tops, don’t be fooled. Fall is approaching! As Starbucks brings back our favorite Pumpkin latte, our favorite designers are also showcasing their new fall lines to keep you nice and warm once the Texas weather finally dips below 70 degrees.  Not sure of the key pieces to have as the leaves change colors? Not to worry Collegiates, below is your simple guide to navigating this falls fashion trends.

Puffer coat
For those of us who are not freshmen, we all remember the infamous snow days. And if your wardrobe was anything like mine, it was definitely lacking the heavy coats that can stand against the harsh weather. Lucky for us, the puffer vests and coats are everywhere for both the fall and winter seasons. Wondering how to wear these fashionable coats? Because the jacket is so puffy, try it with skinny jeans or leggings and either combat or knee high boots. The puffiness of the coat and the tightness of the jeans will balance out your look. Need extra warmth? Throw on a scarf for an effortlessly polished look.

Leather
From the catwalk of Stella McCartney’s Fashion Week show to Northpark’s Forever 21, leather seems to be taking over everything.  But who’s complaining? Leather is the perfect way to start your new cold-weather wardrobe. Not to mention it is the perfect balance between edgy and chic. If you are hesitant about wearing leather, start off with something small. Leather shoulder details on dresses or even just purchasing your first leather jacket. Once you’ve mastered those, then it’s time to move on to the leather pants, leggings or my personal favorite, the leather dress. Leather shorts are also very appropriate for the fall and winter months. Pair them with tights and a good pair of heels for the perfect going-out outfit.
Faux Fur

Rich colors
Deep color’s has always signified the official change from summer to fall clothing seasons. This years “it” color is boudreaux, a combination of red, purple, with a hint of brown (it can most likely be said to resemble a wine color). But don’t let your wardrobe fall short of the other colors of fall! Crimson, mustard yellow, navy blue, and neutral colors such as camel or black are always in season once the leaves changes colors.

Bold, Big Gold
Who ever said less is more? With this fashion trend, going overboard is just enough. I’m talking about stacked bangles, wrist cuffs, chunky necklaces, long chandelier earrings, and large cocktail rings. Wear one or wear them all! The accessory will make a big statement with very little effort.

Boy Meets Girl
Lace is another trend that has lasted for a few seasons now. But the new twist is pairing your most feminine pieces with ones that are inspired by men’s wear.  It gives the perfect balance between luxurious lady chic and the clean lines of men’s fashion. Have a lace dress? Next time you go out, pair it with a blazer or cropped tuxedo jackets and a pair of loafer booties. For your next job interview, pick up a silk button up top with a high neckline and pair with a pencil skirt. You’ll look office chic at its finest.

While these are just a few of Falls trends that can be seen on the runway or your favorite department store, still don’t be hesitant to mix them up to create your own style. 

“Fashion fades, style is eternal.” –Yves Saint Laurent