jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Emojis for every part of SMU life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Some great things have happened to us this past month- Apple has created 184 new emojis! Emojis are part of the new millennial landscape. What used to be moments of awkward silence over text can now be filled with a teeny-tiny picture of rolling eyes or the little flame. Life at SMU can be easily described by emojis, new or old, and here I’ve gathered some of the best combinations to really show #mysmu.

Pony Up!

This is the easiest set to use. The common SMU mantra can be reduced to just two pictures. Caption your cute picture from the Boulevard with just these and you are golden. Cute and simple!

Hand Cramp

This is really for #examlife, am I right? When your buds ask you to meet up at Umph and you have to study, send the writing hand. Succinct and to the point, much like how the responses on the essays you’ll be writing tomorrow should be.

Weather Cocktail

The umbrella with rain, the wind blowing face and the cloud with lighting and rain are basically a summation of all of our Texas weather lately. It would seem that half of fall here is hoping you have your umbrella. It is also a whole lot of hunkering in your dorm room because you are afraid to face the elements.

Buff Babes

Use this to text your roommate that there are cute boys lifting in Dedman. This should be enough to motivate you to get over to the fitness center! If that’s not enough, just remember that there is a Starbucks now in Dedman. You don’t even have to step foot on a workout machine to run into a honey who is strong enough to lift you!

Building Blues

One day SMU will not be under construction. This is not one. This combo works perfectly for the Virginia Snider kids who always seem to be whining about how they have been up since the crack of dawn because of building. Or for all of us who have lost our normal routes to class because THERE MUST ALWAYS BE CONSTRUCTION.

Kicking out the Roomie

This is what you’ll have to text to your roomie so that she knows not to come unlocking or knocking anytime soon. If you are going to have a date come by and need some space, the heart exclamation, the four leaf clover and the peach all seem to denote some variation of “make out central.”

Pony Party

This is for when your SMU vibes include the feelings of “frisky,” “sassy” or “fabulous.” Send this to your girls to tell them you are ready to party with some friends. This emoji says that you are ready to have some fun tonight! It is like taking the SMU Pony and adding a little bit of sparkle.

Now when you are whipping your phone out to jot a quick text, you don’t have to just aimlessly swipe through the keypad hoping for inspiration. The SMU experience can be easily condensed into just a few clicks of the keyboard. Suddenly Snapchatting just got a little cuter, and now your Instagrams don’t have to be the same boring rendition of “at the Boulevard!” Go ahead and emoji your heart out- we know you were going to anyway!

All Images Courtesy of Emojipedia

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.