Dealing With Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

By this point in the semester, you’ve probably gotten a feel for how college is. You’ve made some decent friends, you’re trying out some clubs, you’re going out sometimes, but something in the back of your mind is still gnawing at you. Something is missing, and it’s making you very sad and lonely. It is the curse all college students inevitably face: homesickness. Even for someone who grew up locally, like me, the shift into college can still be rough. My mom isn’t around to talk to, my dog isn’t around to cuddle (boy is he sad about that back at home!) and sometimes you just feel out of place. It can feel like you’re all alone, which is why it’s important to keep a few critical things in mind.

Everyone feels this way

And I mean everyone. Sometimes it seems like you’re the only one having these feelings. I can look at other girls who are constantly smiling and having fun and think that they have everything in their life together, but the truth is that at some point, every single person here will get homesick in some way. Maybe you’ll feel like you don’t belong or maybe you’ll miss your mom’s homemade banana bread, but at some point, everyone longs for home. Don’t let the face that people put on in public fool you- we’re all dealing with our own personal stress. And if you don’t believe me, try talking about it. You might be surprised how many people can relate and just need to talk about their homesickness.

Courtesy of Gifs Gallery

Find your family away from family

“Get involved” might be an over-said piece of advice, but that’s only because it’s true. If you find a passion, chances are, you’ll find friends that go along with it. Having that friend group and support system can make all the difference in the world. You’ll feel like you belong, which can make SMU feel more like a home than ever.

Courtesy of Marie Claire

Don’t be afraid to call home

I try to call my mom every couple of days if I can. It doesn’t need to be a long phone call, just long enough to hear a comforting voice. Sometimes you need a pep talk, sometimes you need to be able to brag about your accomplishments, and sometimes you need someone knowledgeable as to what medicine best fights Peruna Plague- that’s what parents do best. Don’t feel like it makes you weaker or lamer if you need to call more often, because it doesn’t. Whatever you need to feel comfortable and secure is what you should be doing (although maybe try to avoid minute by minute text updates about your day—that might be pushing it!) Bonus tip: give your family your PO Box number. Care packages and letters are 30 times more effective than a phone call for helping you feel connected to what’s going on at home.

Courtesy of Bustle

Remember why you’re here

College is a time to figure out who you are, all on your own. Some of us have come to SMU from across the country, even across the world, and so this transition is likely one of the biggest challenges we’ve faced. But, you’re here to pursue your passion, whatever it is, and that’s what’s really important. If you’re feeling sad, remember all the other challenges you’ve faced in life—say, getting in to college—and remember how you conquered them. Just because you’re sad now doesn’t mean you can’t still win out in the end. You can and will get through this.

If homesickness is serious and persists, SMU Health Services offers counseling and psychiatric appointments free of charge. Appointments can be scheduled online. For more information, click here.

Feature image courtesy of Gurl

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.