Dallas Places to Volunteer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Christmas season brings out the best in everybody. Random acts of kindness, friendly faces, and happiness are abundant. Christmas is also the perfect time to begin volunteering. Here are a couple volunteer ideas for now and throughout the year! Who knows? One of these could kick off your New Year’s Resolution.

1. Heart House – Heart House is a free after school program aimed at  increasing academic achievement for low-income and at risk children. Most of the students are from dangerous neighborhoods and are surrounded by teenage pregnancy, gang pressure, and drugs. I’ve volunteered here twice and loved it! The staff is extremely flexible and welcomes any kind of help. All of the children are extremely kind and genuine.

Do it: If you love children and want to feel like you’re making a difference.
Drop it: If you don’t have a car or feel uncomfortable around children.

2. Scottish Rite Hospital for Children –  Scottish Rite is a children’s hospital specializing in orthopedic conditions like scoliosis or clubfoot, and neurological and learning disorders like dyslexia. The hospital has an incredible variety of volunteer opportunities from reading to patients to being an office angel. Large groups of volunteers are also welcome for special events. Log on to http://www.tsrhc.org/volunteer-opportunities.htmfor more ideas.

Do it: If you handle emotional situations well or enjoy children.
Drop it: If you feel uncomfortable in a hospital setting.

• 2222 Welborn Street, Dallas, Texas 75219

3. Dog and Kitty City – a shelter operated by the Humane Society of Dallas County. Their purpose is to “provide a safe and healthy environment for the indigent, abused, and neglected animals of Dallas”. The shelter does not kill or put down animals. They have plenty of volunteer opportunities from being a cat or dog socializer and playing with the animals to assisting in adoption cases.

Do it: If you’re passionate about animals and miss you pets at home.
Drop it: If you don’t have the time for the orientation and can’t commit at least four hours of service per month or if you can’t pay the $15 dollar fee.

4. The Stewpot – The Stewpot offers a safe place for homeless and at-risk individuals, providing basic survival resources and opportunities to start a new life. The Stewpot serves over 2,000 meals per day and has a strong volunteer network of over 2,000 people. To volunteer you must register through the site at http://www.thestewpot.org/meal.aspand show up 30 minutes before your schedule meal time.

Do it: If you don’t have a lot of time.
Drop it: If you’re grossed out by food.

• 408 Park Avenue and Young Street

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.