College Girl’s Guide to Wine

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Contrary to seeing Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte sipping Cosmos, wine is the real staple in a woman’s life. Whether you’re new to it, or have been conditioned by your parents to know the difference between the taste of an American and a European barrel, here are some tips to find your perfect wine under $20:

Pink Moscato/Moscato: Candy in a bottle. Not only does the wine taste like candy, the Pink Moscato also looks like it. If you’re just starting your journey with wine, this is the best option. I started my wine journey with Barefoot Moscato. Beware the hangover of this sweet treat.

Brands: Barefoot, Cupcake, Middle Sister

Riesling: The next step after Moscato, Riesling is light, crisp, and sweet. I was stuck on this one for a solid year because it’s so delicious.

Brands: Barefoot, Schmitt Sohne

Pinot Grigio: This is still a light citrus wine, but significantly drier than Moscato and Riesling. If Real Housewives of Dallas existed (which it should), the housewives would definitely drink Pinot Grigio/ throw it on each other.

Brands: Sutter Home, Beringer, Cupcake, The Naked Grape

Chardonnay: The flavor you’ll most recognize here is oak. “But I’ve never eaten a tree… How will I taste the oak?” You just will, okay? It will still be fruity (look for plum, pear, and apple), but also woody (lolz).

Brands: Barefoot, Sutter Home, Gallo Family

Pinot Noir: Favorite. Reds have fewer calories than whites (waddup) and for some reason look classier. This is the lightest of the reds, but you still may want to start with a blend before immersing yourself in the reds. Pinot Noirs can have flavors from chocolate to tobacco to raspberry. Sometimes the bottle will tell you what flavors are in the wine, so definitely look for it. Only serious connoisseurs can identify flavors just by taking a sip, so the info on the bottle is very helpful.

Brands: Cupcake, Yellow Tail, Robert Mondavi, The Naked Grape

Zinfandel: This is a step up from Pinot Noir. It has a mixture of red and black fruits and can contains flavors such as spice and licorice. Zinfandel is exclusively grown in California. There are light, medium and full-bodied variations with different levels of spice.

Brands: 7 Deadly Zins, Gnarly Head

Cabernet Sauvignon: These will have a darker fruit flavor- think blackcurrant, blackberry, and plums. You’ll also get some oak, spice, and pepper depending on the body. This is a heavier wine than Pinot Noir and Zinfandel, not for the beginning wino.

Brands: Barefoot, Cupcake, Robert Mondavi, Yellow Tail

Notable Blends: Apothic Red (black cherry, vanilla, mocha) and Apothic Crush (red fruit, caramel, chocolate)

Drink a glass or drink a bottle. You do you, wino.

Senior at SMU studying journalism, fashion media, and photography.