6 Ways to Dress for Fall When It’s Still Hot Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s almost November and you still can’t walk to class without getting sweaty. So what gives? How do you look cute for fall when its so hot outside? We’ve got a few ideas:

1. Wear fall colors

One of the best ways to rock fall style without piling on the layers is to stick to fall colors. This season, colors like army green, wine, and pumpkin are very trendy, but don’t forget about the classic autumnal hues like chocolate brown, taupe, burnt orange, camel and navy blue. Making simple color scheme changes like swapping pastels for fall tones will help your style transition from summer to fall. 

2. Accessorize

Another way to dress for fall while still beating the heat is to rock the right accessories. Don’t be afraid to throw on a lightweight scarf or a puffer vest over a neutral tee to elevate your fall aesthetic. By sticking to accessories that don’t have sleeves (like vests and scarves rather than jackets and coats), you can look October-appropriate while still staying cool.

3. Change your shoes

Now that the summer months are behind us, ditch your sandals and wedges for booties and boots. You can wear booties with shorts to keep your legs cool, and the “short dress with over-the-knee boots” look is very popular right now. Tall or short boots can look good when paired with shorts if you’re trying to avoid covering your entire leg. Even sneakers can work in your transitional fall wardrobe in a casual setting! You have a lot of leeway with closed-toe shoes but make sure to keep those toes hidden until April rolls around again.

4. Choose arms or legs

Make sure you survive the heat in your fall outfits by choosing which parts of your body to cover up and which parts to keep cool. A helpful trick when making this decision is to choose between arms or legs. If you want to wear jeans, try wearing a short-sleeved or sleeveless top to keep your top half from burning up. If you are dying to wear that new sweater, consider wearing it over shorts so your legs will stay cool. Just be careful not to cover up both your arms and your legs until the temperature permanently drops below 70; heat stroke is never on trend!

5. Change your nail color

The time of year has arrived when we switch from “Bubble Bath” and “Cake Pop” to “Malaga Wine” and “Lincoln Park After Dark.” By changing your nail polish colors from pastels and nudes to deep reds, navy blues, and even blacks, you can change your overall vibe to be much more seasonally appropriate.

6. Pay attention to fabrics

When trying to rock transitional styles, it is important to pay attention to fabrics. Ditch linen and rayon for leather and suede to achieve that classic fall look. Just make sure to leave your legs uncovered if you’re rocking a leather jacket because, although it is stylish, leather and suede are not known for their breathability.

Here are a few outfit ideas for inspiration: 

We are the SMU Team.