5 International Restaurants To Try in Dallas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Dallas is home to some of the most diverse neighborhoods (Irving is number one!) That translates into some great quality food. Trying new kinds of food is one of my favorite things. Here’s a list of some of our favorite places to try:

Korean Food: Breakers (Carrolton, TX)- While a bit of a drive, this place is amazing. They cook your meet right in front of you and have unlimited sides. What more could you want? It’s finer dining than the typical Korean restaurant, but it’s just as delicious. I recommend the Chop-Chae (there’s lots of different spellings) which is a kind of noodles and comes automatically as a side dish, and the Samgyeopsal which is the pork belly they will cook in front of you.

Indian Food: Roti Grill (Dallas, TX)- This one is pretty close to campus and by some great shopping! If you’ve never tried Indian food, this is a great place to start. It’s often family style, but this is more fast-casual. Everyone is friendly and up to answering any questions you have about the food. I recommend the “two-step” with Paneer and Saag which is a spinach and cheese dish served over rice. If you’re not that adventurous, try the Tandoori Chicken, Naan (an Indian bread), with Raita (a yogurt sauce).

Thai Food: Royal Thai (Dallas, TX)- This is close to campus and from what I know, very authentic. They have tons of great food, but if you’re afraid of spice, be sure to let them know. I recommend the Tom Kha Gai soup (chicken soup-) and then Pad Thai (fried noodles with a peanut sauce).

Vietnamese Food: Pho is for Lovers (Dallas, TX)- Right off campus on Greenville, this is a great place to eat if you’re sick or just feeling down and cold. It warms you up and there are studies that show that Pho is even better than chicken noodle soup for sick people. Pho is a soup that is cooked for eight hours and usually has meat and rice noodles, with sides you can opt to put it. I recommend the tofu (if you’re into that) or chicken. I like to add Sriracha if I’m stuffed up, Hoisin sauce (it’s on the tables), bean sprouts, basil, and lime. They also have Banh Mi which is a Vietnamese sandwich served on a French baguette.

Mediterranean Food: VERTS (Dallas, TX)- This is a great way to try Mediterranean food if you haven’t it’s “Chipotle-Style”. You can load up your bowl however you want, and most bowls are under 600 calories. I recommend the pita if you’ve never had one or a salad if you’re trying to eat healthy, with beef and lamb, tomato and cucumber mix, sumac onions, fresh lemon, olives, feta, and tzatziki. If you’re still hungry, get a side of falafel (chickpea ball and my personal favorite)!

Latin Food: Gloria’s Latin Cuisine (Dallas, TX)- While many of us have eaten here before, they have a lot of traditional Latin American dishes and it was started right here in the Bishops Art District. I recommend the tamales. While typical tex-mex tamales are filled with pork, covered in corn-husks, and covered in a sauce, these are served plain and in banana leaves. I also love their black bean dip that comes with their chips.

Dallas has plenty of great places to try new cuisines and new foods. You never know, maybe you’ll find your new favorite food!

SaveSave

Courtney is a junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Marketing with a concentration in entrepreneurship and a Spanish and advertising minor. Lover of puppies, writing, How I Met Your Mother, and anything crafty. When she's not attending one of a hundred meetings, you can find her wrapped up in bed pretending to work while really editing Spotify playlists or watching Hart of Dixie.
We are the SMU Team.