5 Closet Essentials for Spring 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

As we enter the new year, it’s important to stay on top of the trends. After all, if your resolution is to get fit, like 99.9 percent of ours always is, you ought to show off your new hot bod in the season’s hottest trends. Plus, as we all know spring is as busy as it gets! So, here are your closet essentials to keep you always prepared and looking great this season:

1.  Pretty in Pastels

While pastel’s always seem to make their way back in “the in,” this season work blues and greys into your wardrobe. Aim for shades anywhere from Lupita Nyong’o’s 2014 Oscar dress to lilac grey.

Courtesy of She Knows

2.  Beauty in Brights

If pastels aren’t really your thing, and you want to go for the brighter route, try for a buttercup yellow or an orange red. These can be paired with a nude makeup palette and bright lips for a more daring look.

3.  Stripes on Stripes on Stripes

Stripes are perfect to add a little something to an outfit. Try incorporating striped accessories to liven up any outfit. 

Courtesy of Purse Blog

4.  Lots of Layers

Don’t be afraid to experiment with layering different textures. While the temperature is still cool suede and knit are perfect to keep cozy, and as temps rise, swap out the hot layers for mixing and matching patterns.

5.  Flares are Fab

A last must-have on the list is a pair of flared jeans, or several pairs if you’re feelin’ yourself! So, channel your inner Vanessa Hudgens because they are so easy to rock! Flared jeans make such statement. Grab a pair of platform sandals and cute shirt for the day, or wedges and sassy top for the night and you are set!

Courtesy of Steal the Look

Feature photo courtesy of Bishop and Holland

Gabby is a sophomore at SMU majoring in Creative Advertising and Fashion Media and minoring in Graphic Design. She is a member of Tri Delta, and she loves traveling, puppies, and all things art. You can follow her on Instagram @gabrielle_grubb
We are the SMU Team.