Professor James Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.
Name: James Miller

Department: Economics

Education: PhD University of Chicago, J.D. Stanford 

Hometown: Manlius, NY

Fun Fact: I hope to be frozen after I die.

What has your general experience as a professor at Smith been like?
 I enjoy teaching here because the students care a lot about learning.

Why did you choose to work at an all women’s college?
It didn’t play a role in my decision.

What is your most embarrassing memory from your own college days?
Too long ago to remember.

What is the best real world application of economics for college students (whether it be dating, job search, etc.)?
 Invest in the stock market through index funds.

What has been the most awkward moment for you as a professor?
Discussing sexual harassment in my law and economics class and trying to explain how professors fear being falsely accused by students.  

If you could tell your college-age self one thing, what would it be?
Invest in Singaporean real estate.

Any last thoughts you’d like to share?
Look into cryonics, the paleo diet, and what makes people happy.

Ruth is a Jersey Girl born and raised and a proud sophomore at Smith. She plays softball for the Smith varsity softball team, is a SGA Senator, is a blogger for Smith Admissions' blog, is the Treasurer for the Smith Democrats, and is a Government and Economics major.
Liberty is the Cofounder of the Smith College branch of Her Campus and a member of the class of 2017. At Smith, Liberty is an economics and medieval studies double major and competes on Smith's equestrian team. Outside of school, she has a talent for sarcasm and baking, and lives for long walks on the beach with her dogs. Liberty hopes that she will one day shatter the glass ceiling and dares anyone to try to stop her.