Sayonara to my Christmas Tree, and in turn, Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s April and I only just sent my Christmas tree home with my parents. Originally when I bought the two and a half foot plastic tree, I imagined it would’ve been gone by January. However, it’s managed to stay up and lit until now.

Why has it stayed up? Well, I jokingly asked my group chat if I should leave it up until the end of the semester… and surprisingly got a resounding “yes.” So, it stayed put. At first I was embarrassed that it was well past Christmas and our tree was still up in full spirit. I was convinced people would think my roommate and I were obsessed with Christmas like “Elf” or something. And I didn’t want to send that message.

“We’ll make it into a holiday tree!” I said, “We’ll decorate with themes for every holiday!” I justified. It was a really cute idea… We never did it. Up until it was finally taken down, it was decorated with christmas lights (purely because we were too lazy to do anything else). However, I began to embrace the Christmas spirit. It reminded me that the feeling of giving and happiness never has to go away.

Also, the tree definitely gave the room an interesting aesthetic. It became part of the room. Just like a lamp or a chair, it found its place and just seemed to fit despite it being months after Christmas. So now that it’s gone, along with my Series of Unfortunate Events collection, my lamp that I never turned on the whole year, and my twice used skis, the room just doesn’t feel the same anymore.

Okay so it’s not a very exciting story. But I mourn its absence. “Why are you mourning a Christmas tree in April?” you may wonder. Well, when my parents took it home with my other extraneous belongings, I realized that it marked the ending to my Freshman year of college.

My first year is rapidly drawing to a close. Soon I won’t be in the same room, have the same classes, or possibly even the same group of friends. I only have three years left, and it’s terrifying to think how fast just one of them went by.

Since my roommate and I will be rooming again next year, it’s going to go up again. I’m only saying goodbye to it for now. However, I’m forever saying goodbye to my Freshman year. I will cherish every memory. I’m excited for next semester as a sophomore and, of course, just as excited to put up my Christmas tree again.