An Open Letter To My Best Friend’s Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

From a child with many “second” families.

To the parents of my best friend,

First of all, and most importantly, thank you so much for raising your children the way you did. Because of the values and morals you passed on and preached to them throughout the years, I have found my best friend. You both have supplied me with my partner and crime, my favorite shotgun rider and my person I got to for absolutely everything. Without your son or daughter my days would grow longer and the amount of inside jokes I have would become very small.

After a long day of school and practice nothing brings me more joy than coming home to a fully stocked pantry, filled to the brim with granola bars, crackers, popcorn and other various treats. Unfortunately, grocery shopping is a strenuous and annoying task in my house and that same box of “Ritz Crackers” becomes less and less appetizing. Thank you for providing me with a different pantry filled with new snack opportunities. I’m so lucky to have a place away from home supplying me with the ever so wonderful “open pantry policy”. Besides, every snack tastes better when it’s from your house anyway.

Through the drama, bad grades and heartbreaks thank you for providing a safe haven that I can always count on. Don’t get me wrong, my parents never fail to give me their absolute best advice, but a second set of adult ears is always settling (even though it’s usually the same response). I know with kids of your own, you both already have a ton on your plate, thus I can’t begin to explain how appreciative I am for you both taking the extra time to listen to me complain, vent, and at times, wipe away my tears.

Thank you for letting me tag along and becoming a part of your wonderful and loving family. Years have passed and the number of parties, sleepovers and sporting events I have spent with you and your family are too many to count. Aunts and Uncles recognize me and finish up that conversation we had at the last hockey game. But sooner rather than later, the time will come where just like your son or daughter, we will be flying the coop, off to colleges and other things that are bigger than our hometown. It’s important that you know that the years of wisdom and laughs will never be forgotten and the memories I have at your house are some of my most cherished. Saying goodbye to my second family is just as painful as the goodbye will be to my real one on drop off day. I will never forget everything you both have done for me, and words alone cannot express how much having you in my life has meant to me.

Love always,

Your extra child

Walk with me on the pathway of more success, bless up.Studying Psychology at Saint Michael's CollegeEvents Director for HerCampusSMCVT