This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Drake’s latest album, Views came out last Spring and my life has never been the same. My friends and I waited together all night for this album to drop, while wearing Drake hats (except for Hallie, but I’ll let it slide). Drake released three singles from this album before it dropped, “Hotline Bling,” “One Dance” and “Pop Style.”The album has a different version of “Pop Style,” than the single version. Drake hyped up this album for so long on all of his social media accounts, that some say that this album is overrated and overhyped; however, this is one of my favorite albums of all time for a different reason.

I met two of my best friends (pictured below: Marika far left, Hallie in the middle) last Spring, only months before Views came out. This album and our obsession with Drake brought us together and we spent all of our free time together listening to the album. We got the album as soon as it dropped at midnight, pictured below is our initial reaction to the song “Too Good.”  

So, I would just like to thank Drake for making Views–

(Side note: I have a playlist dedicated to Drake on my Spotify called “29 29 29”, check it out.)

“It’s a little chilly out there” and gusting wind open up the album. Drake then says the most savage thing ever, “All of my let’s just be friends are friends I don’t have anymore.”

1. Keep The Family Close

Drake starts with this slow sensual track. “You’re supposed to put your pride aside and ride for me,” probably about another girl who broke his heart. Drake basically says his entire life is falling apart because this girl chose a different side. Not really one of my favorites on the album to be honest.

2.  9

This song is more of what you would expect from Drake. “I made a decision last night that I would die for it, just to show the city what it takes to be alive for it.” Drake is from Toronto, Canada, but he often refers to his hometown as “the 6.” Drake has made Toronto somewhat famous with his music, the line “turn the 6 upside down that’s a 9 now” is symbolic for how he has turned the city upside down with the recent rush of popularity.

3.  U With Me?

This is one of my personal favorite tracks on the album. This song is basically Drake asking his girl what the deal is, Are you with me or not? He realizes that there are a ton of rumors surrounding him and she is playing games with him, so he’s trying to clear the air. This is Hallie’s favorite verse in the song: “You got a different vision. You wanna walk around naked in the kitchen without runnin’ into one of my n****s that’s not the way we livin’.” All this poor girl wants to do is be alone in Drake’s house with him and not run into one of his friends while she’s in the kitchen. Is that really too much to ask?

“You toyin’ with it like Happy Meal

3 dots, you thinkin’ of a reaction still

While you’re typin’ make sure to tell me

What type of games are bein’ played?

How’s it goin’ down?

If it’s on ’til we gone then I gots to know now

Is you wit’ me or what?”

4.  Feel No Ways

This is possibly the greatest song ever. Literally. I’ve undoubtedly listened to this song over 1-million times. This line just describes modern romance perfectly: “I try with you there’s more to life than sleeping in and getting high with you. I had to let go of us to show myself what I could do. And that just didn’t sit right with you.” The saddest thing about this song goes unnoticed, but in the second verse Drake says, “I tried with you” not “I try with you,” basically saying he is done trying with this girl who always has him feeling some type of way. How sad is that?

5.  Hype

This beat is literally so f***ing hard and Drake finesses these lyrics. Drake reveals how great this album is when he says “Views already a classic.” What a savage calling his own album a classic. Just another classic Drake banger. “They cannot f*** with the legacy. I don’t know what else is left for me, after this no one a threat to me.”

6.  Weston Road Flows

The first noise you hear on this song is Drake inhaling and exhaling deeply, presumably smoking marijuana. Weston Road is the name of the street that Drake grew up on in Toronto. At one point Drake says, “but here we are and it’s a new semester” (that’s definitely going to be my next Instagram caption). Also, Drake talks about his friends brother in the beginning of the song and describes him as “wavy.”

7.  Redemption

Another slow track from Drake. He hasn’t had many songs like this lately, so I gladly welcome the slow jams on his album. The lyrics “I know you’re seein’ someone that loves you, And I don’t want you to see no one else, I don’t want you here with no one else, I don’t wanna do this with no one else,” are probably some of the saddest things anyone could say, while the lyrics “I miss the feeling of you missing me, but you say you’re over and done with me,” are probably some of the realest lyrics out there. Everybody’s got that somebody.

8.  With You (ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR)

This song definitely makes it into my top 3 on the album. The beat just makes you wanna dance. PARTYNEXTDOOR has the perfect vibe for this song and the chorus, “It’s about us right now girl where you goin’?” gives you a sense that Drake is attempting to make moves on this girl but she is walking out on him. More evidence of his tries to win this girls heart are the lyrics, “Busy as usual but we should make some time.”

9.  Faithful (ft. Pimp C and dvsn)

Drake is just pledging his allegiance to this girl, “I won’t have affairs I’m yours girl, Faithful.” Probably the same girl who broke his heart in “Feel No Ways.” If you’re looking for a new artist to listen to I highly recommend dvsn. I found him after this feature and I love his music. One interesting lyric in this song is, “Wanna watch you do work while I sit back.” As you might remember Drake was featured in Rihanna’s music video for her song “Work”, where he is pictured sitting back on a couch while Rihanna dances in front of him. They are reported to be dating now, which makes me even more suspicious of this lyric.

10.  Still Here

”Me and all my n****s doin’ well, doin’ well dawg,” is the opening line and I personally think it really enforces the title of the song. Me and all my boys are doing well, we’re still here. Another iconic line off of this album comes from this song when Drake says “I can’t f*** with you no more cause you be actin’ extra,” which is the best reason that you can give someone that you are no longer f***ing with. The song basically builds up to one line where Drake says, “Whole lot of sixes, but I’m still like Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah.” The bass drops and Drake raps a nasty verse.

11.  Controlla

This song will never ever get old. I always get up to dance when it comes on, a newly classic way to get a girl to dance with you is playing this song at a party. This is also the first song where Drake talks about sex pretty openly with the line, “You like it, When I get, aggressive, tell you to go slower, go faster. Like controlla, controlla.” Like god damn.

12.  One Dance (ft. Wiz Kid and Kyla)

Although recently it’s been overplayed, this song was the real jam last Spring. My friends and I would search for it all over sketchy illegal websites just to listen to it before the album dropped. “Grips on your waist. Front way, back way,” just imagine Drake singing that to you. The chorus, “I need a one dance. Got a Hennessy in my hand,” beautifully illustrating Drake partying holding a bottle of Hennessy. But regardless of how many times this song is played, it will always be a banger.

13.  Grammys (ft. Future)

Drake’s collab with Future on this track brings back great memories of  What A Time To Be Alive, a whole album of songs they collaborated on. “Heard you never claim the hood, heard the hood claimed you,” just of an example of how much shade Drake throws on this track. The best part is when Drake says, “Top 5, no debating. Top 5, Top 5, Top 5.” Then Future comes in and does some ridiculous babbling about trophies, winning Grammys and why everyone is so excited. Future brags about his wealth: “We sitting right on the courtside. I know players on both sides.”

14.  Childs Play

The audio recording at the beginning of this song is truly amazing: “Breaking news my n****s, if your girlfriend has went to any season opener basketball game. Best believe, she’s fucking some n****s on that team. She’s f***ing somebody on the basketball team if she’s at the game,” And then he continues to be a savage by saying “bounce that s**t like woah.”

15.  Pop Style

This whole song is fire, especially the version with Kanye West. “Got so many chains they call me Channing Tatum,” and, “Turn my birthday into a lifestyle,” are some of the more popular lines from this song. Kanye West and Jay-Z are both on this version.  Sadly Jay only gets a short couple lines, but Kanye spits a whole crazy verse. Another possible Instagram caption from this song could be “I be blacking out, I ain’t backing out.”

16.  Too Good (ft. Rihanna)

The song of the summer for sure, I played it every day. There are few couples that are as perfect as Drake and Rihanna. The music they make together is always good, but this song has a special feel to it with the back and forth between them in it. Also, this beat is somewhat Jamaican and, like all the other beats on the album, it makes you wanna dance. Drake finally gets real and says “Last night, I came to a realization. And I hope you can take it, I hope you can take it. I’m too good for you”—that burns.

17.  Summers Over Interlude

Drake always includes an interlude on his albums, they’re a cool feature to have, but I don’t always enjoy them. Nonetheless, Drake produced a short film called “Please Forgive Me,” where this song plays as an explosion happens in slow motion and it’s actually pretty cool.

18.  Fire & Desire

I often forget about this song, but I’m not sure why because it’s absolute flames. The beat on this song is unbelievable. Drake must’ve found the one for him to say, “You a real ass woman and I like it, I don’t wanna fight it,” and, “Tell me should I cut these other girls right out of my life? Cause we never decided. Tell me how you feel inside.”

“I figure out you, you figure out me

We both a different breed

I’m followin’ your lead, I ask you what you need

You say a guarantee

I mean you say that like it’s easy”

19.  Views

And the title track, Views. My personal favorite line is, “and my wifey is a spice like I’m David Beckahm.” Another one of Drake’s tougher tracks, which I like from a title track, makes the album seem strong coming with a track this good. Another interesting line is, “My exes made some fo my favorite music. I dated women from my favorite movies.”

20.  Hotline Bling

Everyone and their mother knows this song and the music video to it. It was endlessly spoofed on the internet. I’m not a huge fan of it, but it’s a catchy song from Drake so I can’t hate too much.

Until Next time, stay Drizzy.

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you have red hair. People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is" -Anne of Green Gables
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.