Important Things to Keep in Mind as a Student Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

If you’re anything like I was coming into freshman year as a student athlete, you’re probably excited and anxious about how you’re going to balance academics, a social life, and a sport. As a member of the Women’s Cross Country team at SMC, here are some of the important lessons I learned throughout my first year as a student athlete.

1. Your Team = Automatic Friends

Going to college not knowing one can be pretty intimidating. However, unlike your NARP (non-athletic regular person) peers, being on a sport’s team in college gives you a leg up on making friends. While the rest of your class may be struggling to make friends, you’ll already have 20! You won’t have to sit by yourself in the dining hall and if you ever have any questions about anything, your team is there for you! Although it may seem strange that complete strangers could care so much for you, it’s true. Your team does care about you, and you will become closer as the year goes on. You may not become close with everyone, but your team is your team. As you probably know from your high school sport’s team, no gets left behind. (Unless you’re racing, of course.)

2. Balance Academics and Athletics

However, this doesn’t mean that a lot of homework warrants skipping practice. Everyone has a bunch of work and studying to do, but you owe it to your team to bring your best every practice. With this said, academics are super important. It’s what you’re paying for. Playing your sport may have impacted what college you chose, however, you’re attending a college or university, not a sport’s academy. Work hard, then play hard!

3. Communicate with Your Professors

Your professors are willing to work around your hectic training and game/meet schedule. You just have to have open communication if there are ever any conflicts. Try to develop a good relationship with your professors so that when conflicts do arise, they’re more likely to be easier on you.

4. Be Honest if Anything is Hurting

Do not try to play through an injury! Hiding it will not help anyone. Tell your coach if any pains arise. You don’t want something small blown out of proportion because you refuse to take a day off. Your school’s training staff will work closely with you to make sure you’re okay, and if you’re not, they’ll do everything in their power to help. This also goes for mental health. If you are ever frustrated about injuries, overly stressed out about academics or your performance in your sport, or even stressed out about your weight, talk to someone! Have that conversation with your coach, with your team, or with your school’s counselors. There will be plenty of people there to help you through tough times.

5. Get Involving with Other Activities

Although playing your sport will take up a lot of your time, you should still try to join clubs and meet more people. College is about getting an education, meeting new people, and trying new things! Get out there and join clubs that your school has to offer. Unless you are a three season athlete, you’re going to have a lot more time once the season is over. Get involved with campus events and activities! Establish a friend group other than your team! It’s important to branch out of your comfort zone, and most importantly, have fun!