Identity Thief vs. Warm Bodies: A Comedy Showdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Identity Thief: Worth Waiting For the DVD

Starring: Jason Bateman (Horrible Bosses), Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids)

IMDB Description: Mild-mannered businessman Sandy Patterson travels from Denver to Miami to confront the deceptively harmless-looking woman who has been living it up after stealing Sandy’s identity.

Review: Advertised as a comedy of Bridesmaid’s memorability, Identity Thief failed to deliver. Both actors have the potential to bring viewers to tears from laughter, but the script seemed too sentimental to let that characteristic shine.

Of course, this shouldn’t deter you from going to see the adorable flick. McCarthy packs a punch…literally. Her favorite defensive move in the movie is to hit attackers in the throat. Bateman is on the receiving end of several of these attacks

Throughout the film we see an enemy relationship morph into a friendship with bumps along the way including a scene when McCarthy brings back a man to the hotel room, which Bateman and her are sharing. Needless to say, the scene ends awkwardly, but with a key character change for McCarthy.

My advice: Wait until this flick comes out on DVD. It’s not worth spending the 10 dollars for the big screen experience. You won’t be missing out on any special effects or audio.

Warm Bodies: A Surprising Must-See

Starring: Nicholas Hoult (Skins), Teresa Palmer (The Grudge 2)

IMDB Description: After R (a highly unusual zombie) saves Julie from an attack, the two form a relationship that sets in motion a sequence of events that might transform the entire lifeless world.

Review: Zombies are so hot right now…. or maybe I should say cold. Either way, they are everywhere including hit TV show, Walking Dead.

Warm Bodies makes the undead look lovable. R, a zombie stuck shuffling around the airport amongst his fellow zombies, narrates the film with his thoughts, wondering whether anyone else shares his state of endless thinking. There is a small village of humans who have gone uninfected, but groups must face the world outside their giant walls to get supplies.

R saves Julie from a zombie attack out of a sudden and surprising influx of feelings that are not usually part of the zombie personality. Viewers see R evolve from undead to almost living with the help of Julie’s friendship and, at one point, some make-up.

Warm Bodies is certainly worth seeing on the big screen. Grab some friends or date and enjoy the relatable humor about trying to act human around people you have a crush on.

Sources:

http://digboston.com/laugh/201…

http://www.wellsphere.com/wome…

Lauren Mazzoleni is a junior at Saint Michael's College where she majors in Digital Arts, Media Studies, and Journalism and minors in Psychology. Lauren and Alexandra Brenock are the two campus correspondents for Saint Michael's HC Branch. At Saint Michael's, she is a student blogger, a tour guide, and a disc jockey at WWPV 88.7 FM. Many of her friends would say that when she is not busy attending her classes or working on HC articles, you could find her watching many of the shows she always DVRs (Glee, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, etc), shopping on Church Street in downtown Burlington, and hanging out with her friends from Saint Michael's and from her hometown in NH.